Sunday, April 3, 2011

Is there a Guiness Book of Records category for the longest bathroom remodel in history?

The date was 9/26/2009. I was bright eyed and bushy tailed. Due to some unforseen circumstances (i.e. the waterfall pouring from my upstairs bathroom might be a  clue something was amiss) we were forced to begin the much anticipated (1 of 2) bathroom remodel. Oh darn!  I was really gonna miss the fake oak cabinet, the gold and white faux marble counter top, the plastic tile walls in the high-end design of white, gray and blue flowers, the dingy acrylic bathtub, green and brown pebble linoleum and the toilet you had to..um sit sidesaddle on--or else you would smack your knees on the sink vanity. Yeah...NOT

So now the date is April 4, 2011. Where is my beautiful new bathroom? The high gloss white wall tiles, the smooth granite countertop, the new and expanded layout? Still in the photoshopped magazine layout of any home improvement magazine. Back to earth with a resounding thud. It seems my dreams of grandeur = much moula I do not have (and if I do have it, it has been acquired illegally and I am looking at slammer time)....sigh!

Soooo, what did I get? Well.... we did gut the room to the studs. The hubby refused to expand the footprint, so it is still a VERY small bathroom at 5 1/4 ft x 7 1/2 ft. For a full size bath...Really?! The plumbing was reconfigured to best utilize the small space (which ain't saying much). The electrical was slightly updated to include a GFI--no home perms for me! The room has since been insulated and vapor barrier installed. Green board and cement backer board is installed--although there was the incident of hubby installing the backer board incorrectly. Do over anyone?

The beautiful new enamel on steel tub is securely installed and the water connection checked (Yay for no leaks!). Everything has been mudded, taped and sanded. The beachy sand colored ceramic floor tile has been mortared in and  yet to be grouted. The beautiful high gloss white subway tiles and corresponding trim pieces, the neutral glass mosaic tiles for accent and all the sleek and shiny satin nickel hardware sit forlornly in the corner of the spare bedroom  are now installed. As did the new toilet--which is FORTUNATELY still in the box  is also installed. How disconcerning would that be to see that everday. Yeah that had to go out to the garage. No john in the bedroom unless it is John-ny Depp....um what was I saying....

On the upside of TWLBRIH (That would be THE WORLD"S LONGEST BATHROOM REMODEL IN HISTORY) is I have had MORE than adequate time to score some awesome deals. The 13" ceramic floor tile- only $0.75/ tile. The bathtub was on sale for $109, I had a $20 coupon and a $50 gift card, so my out of pocket price was $39 plus chump change to cover the tax. The cost to reconfigure all the plumbing was the cost of all the materials and a CHEAP-O favor= slave labor from a family friend at $125.00. Considering there was a full 8 hrs of work, can you imagine what I would have had to pay a plumber on my own dime--YIKES!

The subway tile was $0.22/ tile and I had a $20 coupon for the total order. All the hardware (sink and tub faucets, towel bars) are from Ovrstock at 65% of the original cost. The light fixture was a clearance item for $10. The best deal was the the wall mount tilt mirror. Found at the local thrift shop still in the package with ALL of the hardware AND instructions--(you know a man didn't buy it cause they always throw the instructions away)-- retails at $50 and I got it for $4.50! YAY for thrift-erific bargains!

We are currently 60% 90%c ompleted on the bathroom. So 60%  x 19 months= a helluva long time. I hate math. Hopefully we will be finished before the 2yr 30 month mark comes around. Unless there IS a Guiness category and I am gonna have to win that sucker. What DO you win for a Guiness category?...


UPDATE... As of November 3, 2011 the only remaining projects are to install the crown moulding, hang the shower rod, hang the mirror, install the exhaust vent and accessorize. As soon as it is complete, I will post a picture! Yay!


1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to this! I don't think we will EVER finish our bathroom remodel. In fact, the very reason I started my blog was to 'insprie' me to finish that bathroom. Nothing like accountability...except it is not working like I had hoped. I can't wait to post "Mast Bathroom--The Big Reveal".

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!