Sunday, April 3, 2011

Elbow deep in...manure


HA! In honor that we actually have spring-like weather today here in Cincy (it's is 68°C!)-- I am going wax poetic about all things garden! Woo!

The cold frame and mini green house have been assembled. Someday I will have an awesome greenhouse and not just the pretend toddler sized one. But a gal has to make due with what she has. All the seeds have been purchased along with 2 new pair of garden gloves.( Haha-- ok not really-- because there is ALWAYS room in the garden for just a couple more plants).


All the garden stuff has been hauled out of the shed to my pathetic little corner of the garage for me to work.(Translation--what the hubbs did not mangle or throw away has been retrieved and been begrudgingly placed in the the 4ft x 6ft space carved from his man land)

Pansies have been potted in the planters flanking the steps to the front door. Nothing shouts SPRING like the garish yellow and purple pansies. Additional river rock has been poured around the front porch beds-- this is replace the rocks removed my by a few toddlers that have been known to frequent my house.

I have replentished my supply of peat pots, yogurt cups and egg trays (and whatever else I can use for all my seedlings). I mixed up a batch of of super- grow happy garden soil, so all of my green babies blossom into yummy veggies and" y'all are green-with-envy" flowers.

I began the draft grid for plantings and my 2011 garden journal. YES--I am THAT person. Lettuce and carrot seeds have been sown in containers because I am a greedy and do not like to share with the ravenous zombie bunnies that roam our woods and fields.

Next, begins the tedious steps of seed starting--labelling and monitoring the germination. Being ruthless when it is time to thin the seedlings. And agonzing on when I can harden off the the wee delicate shoots of green and plant them into their seasonal home. Ohio weather is so unpredicatable and overnight you can lose 6-8 weeks of work.

I try to mimic the planting times of the old-timeys in town. Grandpapappy Farmer Emmet and Granny Mildred know a thing or two about working the soil. Anyone that says gardening is boring just doesn't realize what a gamble it is. Weather, insects and wild creatures are all the wildcards in this game.

True it is a lot of work. But is it worth it? You bet your sweet corn it is! When everyone is paying $2.99/ lb for anemic no- flavor tomatoes, bitter skin cukes and woody carrots from the mega Chinamart-- I will be nomming on big red juicy 'maters, cool crisp green cukes and sweet as sugar carrots from my garden. Knowing they are pesticide free and proudly grown right here in the ole' USA. Not to mention there is something just--soothing--about touching the earth. Nothing is better for my peace of mind than digging in the dirt. All the cares and worries just drift away with every shovel-ful of soil.


Yes I realize the season is early, but I am daydreaming of of the goodies yet to come. And for any of you that want some of the bountiful harvest--I say--grab a pair gloves and pick it yerself!

Let the gardening season commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!