Monday, November 21, 2011

For art's sake



Replica of a Victorian roof finial, a
gift from my husband
 A carved wooden shelf.
Art is such a personal matter and can cover nearly every subject under the sun. 

Wikepedia defines art as-- "the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings." 

I think everyone should have some form of art in their life. You should always surround yourself with things you love. Some people purchase art objects for the investment opportunity. Others for the emotional connection.

I fall in the latter category. And looking around my house the majority of my collectibles or objets d'art (haha-I feel fancy for writing in French) have a common factor of nature. Whether it be the subject or an interpretation via texture, shape or color. I LOVE pictures of landscapes, birds and botanical's. I also tend to favor the colors found in nature. I like the texture rocks, wood and metals. I also try to use plants in every room. 

My design style, including my art and collectibles, is completely different than today than it was 10 years ago. I have grown and changed. My design and art aesthetic reflects this. I like my displays to look collected over time--not picked out of a catalog. I am constantly editing and re-arranging things. Change is good! 

Art, collectibles or chtatkes (as referred by some) should be grouped in a manner, as to set a tone for a room.

I bought these cute (and cheap) little prints up at Walmart. They look like vintage postcards.
   
These items are nice on their own, but grouped together they begin to tell a story.

This display is in my dining room.

Some objects provide a sense of whimsy.

I love this little, metal folk art bird.
It's a bird! It's a watering can! It's cute! 

Others foster a sense of contemplation.

My favorite art.

Others make you feel at home.

Plants, home sign, birds and a vintage postcard vibe. love!

These are but a few of my favorite things. What kind of art and collectibles do you have?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!