Thursday, November 24, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life (if only for a day)




Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a joyful day filled with love, laughter and lot of delicious food. The hubbs and I celebrated Turkey day at my sisters house. It was a great time of joking, reminiscing and eating. There was more food than we could ever eat!

My brother-in-law made 2 kinds of turkey (smoked and oven roasted), there were 3 types of stuffing, all the usual side dishes and our mom must have brought 7 different desserts. There was poignancy since our Grandpa T is no longer with us, but our family is expanding as we welcomed our sister's fiancee to the family. (We did warn him and give him a chance to run, haha!)

Of course all the men gathered out back for a small fire. (Seriously what is the deal with men and fire?) The kids were running around, playing and laughing. The sounds of family all around us. For just a while we escaped from the harsh realities of ill health, financial woes, past hurts, everyday stresses and truly enjoyed each other. For once there was no in-fighting or family drama. It was as is should be. Norman Rockwell-esque instead of the Norman Bates, haha.

Eventually after all the food was packed away and the dishes washed, it was time to go our separate ways.  We made plans for Christmas (our newly engaged sister was volunteered by me to host-(ha-ha I am gonna pay for that one!), said our I love you's, be careful's and goodbyes. And so the magic little bubble that enveloped us for just a little while was gone.

Coming home, I was greeted by my dogs (Chubbs and Tovah), my cat Sam-Sam,  my Guinea Pigs  (Pansy and Petunia) wheeked and shrilled since they are cage bound. And while I enjoyed all the noise and chaos with my family it is nice to have quiet at home. The other thing that greeted me were the lingering smells from what I had cooked to take to my sisters and for our personal dinner tomorrow.  Just a hint of apple, onion and sage perfume the air from the stuffing. There is also the wafting smells of cinnamon, nutmeg and caramelized sugar for the candied yams. My house is so warm and cozy!

Reflecting on the events the day I am feeling pensive. I have a very blessed life. I am thankful for all the opportunities in education, employment and interpersonal relationships. I am grateful that I have family that lives local. And while I don't  say it very often (and I probably should work on that), they know I love them. Today was truly one of the best family gatherings we have had in a very long time.

If ever there a word that meant  Love, Family and Home I think today (Thanksgiving) is the very definition.

Don’t let it be forgot, That once there was a spot -For one brief shining moment That was known as Camelot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!