Friday, November 18, 2011

Stencil Madness

Earlier this month I lamented the lack of design in my stairwell (as shown here). Well I went on a mission of inspiration to one of the happiest places on earth. No--not Disneyland. Or  IKEA. I went to Michael's. I love craft stores!

While shopping for some Christmas craft goodies (which is another post), I decided to wander the aisles and I stumbled upon some stencils! I found my inspiration!

Martha Stewart Crafts™ Arabesque Laser-Cut Stencils

There are 11 different stencils in this pack. originally priced at $16.99 but I had a coupon for 40% . After the coupon discount and tax I paid $10.90 which is the equivalent of $0.99 per stencil. Not to bad my little mathematical minions!  I envision all sorts of stenciling projects. WOOT!

 I like these 2 the best.

Iron works

Arabesque tile

The lower portion of the staircase 
   

will be painted Valspar Smoked Oyster 

6005-1C

The  upper portion of the staircase


will be painted  Valspar Oatlands Subtle Taupe

6005-1B
Then to break up the expanse I will stencil the Ironwork's pattern in a Pearlized white. I think the white will provide a nice contrast. The pearl will have just enough sheen and shimmer to bounce the light around. I do plan to add artwork, photos, and possibly a quilt.  (Don't forget the stair treads will be a nice dark Cappuccino color and the risers a bright crisp white!) 

I love the ideal of this stencil. It will look like wallpaper without all the icky glue. So excited to work on this! That is until I have a hunchback and claw-hands from spouncing paint for the stencil effect. Oh and there is the whole afraid of heights  and climbing a 14 foot ladder issue. Details, details....

And to my daughter who said-"Your just gonna paint it Beige and Cream, Mom. It's your thing."  I say  "Hush yer' mouth!"

(And I just might work that Arabesque tile pattern onto my risers...you just never know!)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!