The color I painted is a mis-tint quart I found for $2.00 at Home Depot! Sweet! And it is the perfect Robin's Egg Blue!
I didn't bother priming because I am going for a distressed finish.. I used a dry brush technique, which is funny because it really isn't dry or a brush. I used a cheap-o $0.79 foam pad applicator which I dampened and then blotted on a paper towel. I applied a very, very thin layer of paint going with direction of the grain. Allow to dry completely. I repeated this process until I began to get the desired effect.The original dark finish is more evident in some areas, less in in others. I really thought about where would the wear be most evident, so the darker "original finish" would show through
I had to cut a small notch from the foam to align properly on the seat. An old electric carving knife works great for cutting the foam. Cuts like butter! Once I was sure I had the correct sized cushion, I did a dry fit on the foam. I applied a thin spay of adhesive to the cushion and wood. Let that tack up for about 15-30 seconds and then attached the foam. I let this sit undisturbed for about an hour while I was
I used a water-based gel stain (Mahogany) for the table part of the bench. I applied 2 coats, allowing to dry between applications.
I also applied a very diluted wash of stain over the entire bench to further "age" it.
After laying out my fabric I decided where I needed to cut to have the optimum display on the design. The fabric has a fairly dense weave so I didn't bother using any liner fabric. If this was a piece of furniture that would receive heavy use I would have gone with a denser foam pad, used batting, bought a heavier weight fabric and used a muslin liner. But this bench will mainly be for display with very light use.
|The fabric is LeJardin Garden and and Birds by Richloom|
Shared on Project Parade 2/06/2012
Shared on 2/07/2012
Shared on 2/19/2012