Monday, February 6, 2012

Gossip bench re-deaux

Ok I have no ideal if that is really a word and since I don't speak French.  I hope I didn't just accidentally call someone a walrus's ass. But everything looks and sounds so much more sophisticated and classy in French. Anyhoo I recently blogged about this sweet little gossip bench HERE

It was looking a tad unloved and mistreated.

First thing I did was remove the seat by flipping it over taking out the screws.

Next I gave the entire bench a good sanding using a sanding block. I wasn't concerned with the imperfections, I just wanted to give it some :teeth" for the paint to adhere. After sanding I tacked off the frame to remove any dust and particulates.

The color I painted is a mis-tint quart I found for $2.00 at Home Depot! Sweet! And it is the perfect Robin's Egg Blue!

I didn't bother priming because I am going for a distressed finish.. I used a dry brush technique, which is funny because it really isn't dry or a brush. I used a cheap-o  $0.79 foam pad applicator which I dampened and then blotted on a paper towel. I applied a very, very thin layer of paint  going with direction of the grain. Allow to dry completely. I repeated this process until I began to get the desired effect.The original dark finish is more evident in some areas, less in in others. I really thought about where would the wear be most evident, so the darker "original finish" would show through

While the paint was drying, I removed the tacky red velvet , which was covering an even tackier plaid.-ish material. Not to mention...STANKY...I don't want to think about all the butt's that have sat on that cushion... Bleh. (Now I have to bleach my hands)

I inspected the wood seat for any cracks to determine if I needed to replace it. It does have to be strong enough to support my...errr girth? Heft? My chubby bum. It pretty much splintered apart so a new seat was fabricated from a 1/4 inch piece of scrap  plywood.  I bought a 2 inch piece of foam from Hobby Lobby. They were have a 30% sale so I scored my cushion for $2.97. Sweet!

I had to cut a small notch from the foam to align properly on the seat. An old electric carving knife works great for cutting the foam. Cuts like butter! Once I was sure I had the correct sized cushion, I did a dry fit on the foam.  I applied a thin spay of adhesive to the cushion and wood. Let that tack up for about 15-30 seconds and then attached the foam. I let this sit undisturbed for about an hour while I was on Facebook, Pinterest, napping, cleaning my house. ha!

 I used a water-based gel stain (Mahogany) for the table part of the bench. I applied 2 coats, allowing to dry between applications.

I also applied a very diluted wash of stain over the entire bench to further "age" it.

After laying out my fabric I decided where I needed to cut to have the optimum display on the design. The fabric has a fairly dense weave so I didn't bother using any liner fabric.  If this was a piece of furniture that would receive heavy use I would have gone with a denser foam pad, used batting, bought a heavier weight fabric and  used a muslin liner. But this bench will mainly be for display with very light use.
The fabric is LeJardin Garden and and Birds by Richloom 
Center the fabric and do a small fold over. Staple 1 staple in the center. Pull the fabric taut, turnover to check there are no weird creases and put a staple on the opposite side. Repeat this process until secured. For the corners I did a simple envelope fold.  I used 1/4 inch  (6 mm) staples heavy duty staples. My plywood is 1/4 inch and even though I have a 2 inch cushion, I would really hate for a staple to pop though (ouch!) so I used the smallest staples I could find.


The seat was re-attached to the bench . It turned out so much better than I expected!

What do you think? Do you love it as much as I do?


Shared on The DIY Show Off Project Parade  2/06/2012

Shared on  2/07/2012 
Shared on   2/19/2012


17 comments:

  1. LOVE. IT. Will you come redo one for us? Ha. Looks great and very inspiring!!! Makes me want to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am hauling butt all the way to Texas to paint some stripes on a wall, I might as well redo a gossip bench! haha

      Delete
  2. L.O.L!! It took me a bit to stop laughing at the "walrus ass" reference so I could read the rest of your post. What in the world made you think of that reference? Doesn't matter, it was a good laugh.
    And the bench looks great!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    p.s.
    I'd love to follow, but when I join via GFC, nothing shows up on my blogger dashboard since I'm not a Blogger blogger. If you add another way to join, I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, my bad! Just looked over to the left and saw more options. I'll be following along as a linky follower.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon--I have no ideal where the walrus ass comment came from..I just randomly spout/type weird things. I adore that little bench. I currently have it in my living room. Still trying to find the perfect place for it! LOL Thank you so much for stopping by, commenting and following!

      Delete
  4. I just love this color, and it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered your blog and I am so glad I did! I love your sense of humor! I am following you both through linky and GFC~hope to have you return the visit!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I appreciate you stopping by to visit, comment and follow me! I love your blog! I am now following on Linky and GFC!

      Delete
  6. Heyyyyy, just ran across your blog and I've enjoyed my visit so much that I've just become your newest follower. COME FOLLOW ME. Im only 3 weeks into blogland and lovin every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candy! Welcome to blog-land! I LOVE the name of your blog! Thanks for visiting, commenting and following! I am your newest follower!

      Delete
  7. Love it! I have my very own gossip bench/telephone table that needs some serious repairs ... and love!

    I'm always looking for great ideas ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda--Glad to share a good ideal! I was at Goodwill yesterday and there was a gossip bench they had it marked at $70!! And it was is in very bad shape! I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I've never seen a gossip bench before...it's so cute! And I do love it as much as you do!

    I love the finished product.

    BTW I'm stopping over from the newbie party and I love your blog. I'm your newest member!
    I'd love for you to stop by and check out my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you for stopping by, commenting AND following! I will be hopping by your blog shortly!

      Thanks I love really love it, but I think my cat loves it the most since he is usually laying on it, haha!

      Delete
  9. Nice! Where did you find the fabric? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne Fabrics. I bought the fabric in June 2011 and waited for just the right project.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!