Sunday, February 12, 2012

Knot to be undone...

 In case you didn't catch  the blurb on my blog, my house was built in 1881. That is pretty dang old for a house. Well in America. In Europe that is a tweenager of houses. Anyhoo, the floor is original. As in decrepit. The dining room floor is well quite frankly falling apart. Literally and figuratively. There is nothing left to salvage on these floors. Some of the knots have completely fallen out, so I have actual holes in my floor. You can peek into the basement/ dungeon with out opening the door. That's kind of nifty untill things like really important screws roll off the table and fall into the dark basement/ dungeon abyss. It's all funny until someone gets hurt or until you lose a critical fastener.



Perfect for storing scissors
Although having the holes in the floor is not without amusement. Especially when you tell little kids to look at them and my hubbs may or maynot be in the basement /dungeon. And then pokes his fingers up through the holes.  Hehehehe. We wouldn't be that evil? Would we?  Ok--to be fair we have pulled that prank on the dogs. They didn't like it either.

If someone forgets to turn off  the basement light, at night, the light will show through every crack, pinhole and knot. It does provide a certain ambiance, no? A 1000 points of light in my floor.
 If I weren't so technologically challenged and knew how to use the camera I would have a better picture.

Oh yeah besides, having holes in the floor, there is a major slope issue. So much so you don't need to roll the ball for the dogs. There are levelers on everything. Want a cheap buzz. Don't wast your money on booze. Spend sometime in my dining room. After walking around on the slanted floor you will feel like you have knocked a few drinks back.

On the bad days I perceive my house as this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imrickndakota/2911498067/
Yes, yes I KNOW it's really not that bad. Sometimes the quirkiness of my house grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. Other days I am smitten and googley eyed like a teenage girl , drawing little hearts and saying I love my house (ok not really). So fickle...

The good news is I have decided on my flooring. Given the imperfections of the floor (slope etc), we are going to level it the best we can but linoleum is the best option for us due to durability, price and the imperfections of our floor. I like it because it looks like slate, has a slight texture and will be so easy to clean.  Especially with 2 dogs. And me and the hubbs stomping in and out from the garden. We are going to have linoleum in the kitchen, first floor bathroom. laundry room and dining room. Since I have such a small house I don't want the rooms to look choppy by using to many floor patterns.

Tarkett Grande in Multi/Green
Now I just have to pull the trigger and order it. Currently Menards has it for $1.69 sf. It was originally $1.99. Not bad. Not great.  Sometimes you just have to have pay a little more to get the look you want.  As soon as the floor goes in I can have my new baseboards.  I am  thinking of installing the 4 inch cottage style base molding.

Next project on the list for ME to tackle is my stairwell. I had talked about it here. I have procrastinated long enough. I think we are actually making progress. So perhaps I will love my house a little more and will  view my house like this...

http://rcd.typepad.com/photos/travel_2007_new_orle/2007_04_29_img_3164.html
SO what is on your house project list? 

14 comments:

  1. Love your floor choice. I have no idea why people "scoff" at linoleum. Its a heck of a lot easier on the back, not to mention warmer. I don't know how many houses we looked at that had ceramic tiles throughout---I got a backache just touring the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, give credit where credit is due. You know I *totally* picked out the flooring! C'mon, it's GREEEEN! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so much like tile - love the color!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It even has a very slight texture. We have to do some leveling and floor repair and then I can order it. We are hoping to have the dining room finished by end of March.

      Delete
  4. Don't you love not being perfect? I do!! I'm your newest imperfect linky follower-stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,

      Sorry I didn't comment sooner. A 131 yr old house is about as imperfect as can be. Thank you for stopping by, commenting and following. And I signed up to follower you a few weeks back via linky!

      Delete
  5. Love an old house and it's "special features" - I have an old heater fan in the bathroom of our 1935 house. Would love to take it out, but can't find the match to the original subway tiles to fill the hole. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather!

      Yep old houses and their unique features are what make you fall in love with them. But then there are the unseen quirks that drive you crazy. At least you have a heater in your bathroom! Have you tried North Prairie Tileworks in Minneapolis? http://www.handmadetile.com/ They custom match antique and vintage tile. They charges $30 a square foot (minimum order: 2 square feet) to match assuming they have the glaze on hand. (They have 1400 glaze recipes on hand) Chances are they can match it! And at $60 plus shipping and handling they sure beats a complete redo!

      Delete
  6. Hello Tonya,
    Our house will be 100 in 2014. I look forward to celebrating. We just finished replumbing the whole house and are finishing painting outdoors - always, always something to do in an older house. I have enjoyed my visit and am following via Linky Followers!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy--It is a love/hate/love relationship with his house at times, haha. Although honestly I can't imagine living anywhere else!

      Delete
  7. Im sorry about the knotty floors, but it did make for a very entertaining post, giggle. I bet you are excited to get new floors. We built our house 6 years ago so most of our projects are outside. This yer we hope to build a garden shed and a fence. I enjoyed my visit to your sweet blog I am a new linky follower. Hugs and wishes for a beautiful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine! Thank you for visiting , commenting and following! I love getting comments and I love when I have new followers even more haha! OMG am I ever excited for new floors. Easy to clean. No splinters. All shiny and pretty. Yeah--can't wait!

      I can't wait to see how your shed turns out. What kind of fence are you going to install? I am following you back vi Linky

      Delete
  8. This is a great post. I love your two versions of your home. I think your new floors are going to look great. Can't wait to see it all done.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!