Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sown and Harvest #1


I am changing the format a bit. Sunday posts will  be dedicated to all things garden, landscape, and plant related.

The Winter Landscape Feb 2012. Or Should I say, "What winter?" It has been an usual season fer sure! Although there has been relatively little snow it is to cold for me to do much of anything. Except dream. And plan. An order stuff. NOT that I need to spend anymore money!

Although between house projects, I do need to take some time and take stock of  my garden beds. Review my notes from 2011. What worked. What didn't. There sure was a whole lotta didn't. Boo.

I can barely remember what the yard and garden looked like because everything is so drab and bleh.


Wait--Ahhhh that's better. I really miss this, siiiggghhhhh

This is the largest of my perennial beds. Also home to Blinky. My metal sculpture bird. My cat Boy meow-Meow is constantly knocking him over. Even when I weight the base down with rocks. I swear one of these days I am gonna cement him in place. But for right now, Cat=1 Me=0

This would be the cat in question


My walk around the yard confirmed I have a have a LOT of work waiting on me. But there were some nice surprises. Such as some of bulbs are coming in which means the squirrels didn't eat all of them. I need transplant the moss to the rock garden by the creek. 

My Red Velvet Yarrow is coming in already. Gonna give it a trim today. Much to soon for that to be coming in. Wacky Ohio weather!

My Rosemary shrub is still green! I love this garden bed. The garage wall absorbs the heat and reflects it back (it is a due south exposure)  and allows me to go beyond my zone 6 plants.

Now for the stuff that needs work. I need to pull down the cardinal climber vines. Trim the Black Knight Buddleia. Divide the Autumn Joy Sedum. I noticed at the end of the season my Miss Kim Lilac which is tucked behind the sedum had a bit of powdery mildew. I think I really need to move it this this fall. I also have some Silver mound Artemisia in this bed that the Buddleia all but took over. I am going to try to transplant the Artimisia but they generally don't like being moved.

I did buy this nifty portable greenhouse. SOMEDAY I will have a real one. But this will work for now.

I also have a new gardening journal and some zinc plant markers. I placed a few orders for seeds, so those should start rolling in this coming week. Yay! Spring is just around the corner!

What's going on in your garden? I would love to hear about your plans!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by. I just signed up to follow you on GFC and Linky (sorry, I thought I already had). Anyway, I was just talking about my garden today....the spring cleanup and wanting to add an herb garden where we pulled out some shrubs last fall. Can't wait to get out there!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Alice--I thought you did too? Weird huh? Anyway I am very thankful to have you follow me (again?). I know--I am soooo ready for Spring!!

      T

      Delete
  2. Hi Tonya!

    A cozy little farmhouse... I may be a little jealous :)

    Thank you so very much for participating in the blog hop! Wishing you much success in your bloggy endeavors. New follower :)

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly

      Thank you for stopping by, commenting and following!You can only be jealous of this cozy little farmhouse if you constantly want to repair things, love drafts and creaky floors.I kinda have a love-hate relationship with mu house! HAHA

      I am your newest follower!

      Delete
  3. It does feel like Spring already even here in Wisconsin. I wish I liked gardening but I hate weeding!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!