Join me as I renovate my 1881 farmhouse with much creativity and very little budget. (Often with humorous results). Oh and there may be random ramblings posted from time to time. It helps quiet the voices in my head. Well, that and the prescription the Dr. gave me...
I guess the title is a bit of a give away. Something to do with stripes. I have a bowling alley vibe going on with the upstairs hallway. (Ummm...ignore ALL of the paint cans, And peeling paint. And all the crap that detracts from this project)
This is the view from the stair landing facing the spare bedroom. Not a whole lot going on. Especially on the right hand side. This wall is the backside (haha I said backside, so juvenile!) of the the dressing room. The left wall already has texture because it is painted paneling. I have pattern with the curtains felt this wall was just kind of...flat. And nobody wants a flat backside. (You realize of course Sir Mix-a-Lot "Baby Got Back" is now playing in my head. I have issues...) Umm, where was I?...oh yeah...Boring wall, blah, blah, blah.
The drywall had already been primed and painted with 1 coat of Valspar Subtle Taupe. It just looked...blah. So I started over. I repainted the wall with the creamy buttermilk. Here you can really see the difference in the paint colors.
Left= Buttermilk, Right= Taupe)
Just a little lighter and brighter.
Next for a little pizzazz. I wanted to do a paint treatment . I have lots of stencils but was feeling kinda lazy. I decided to add stripes. I began by measuring 2 inches down from the ceiling since we are going to some crown molding. (And by we I mean the royal we. As is the hubbs is gonna install it. I am just going to boss him around. So nothing new, haha) Then I measured 4 inches up from the floor to account for base molding. That left me with 74 inches of wall height. Then I began to manipulate the numbers (OMG! I had to do math!!) so I came up with 8 stripes. Each stripe is measured at 9.25 inches. I felt this was provide impact and texture without being overwhelming! The hubbs had to help me with making sure the lines were level because 1) I am short and couldn't see the tape measurements 2) I have T-Rex arms and couldn't reach to properly draw a level line 3) and I hate to admit this but my boobage kind of gets in the way when I bend down, ...ummm, yeah...
My base color is Buttermilk. For the stripes I wanted to keep I made tape X's to remind myself NOT to paint the contrasting color and I taped just inside the pencil line. Here are all the lines taped, just waiting for me to paint.
TA-DA!! (I still need to install crown molding and baseboard)
The contrasting stripe is Smoked Oyster by Valspar.
Now for a few decorations.
Not sure if I am gonna keep these prints. I purchased these at Michael's 2 years ago on clearance and they have been gathering dust in my closet.
The mirror was a find from Big Lots about 6 years ago. The floral is on a plaster key I purchased at Joann's at 70% off! The image reflected in the mirror was a gift from my daughter in 2006. It is a close up of a flower from my garden that she had framed for me. (Sorry for the weird Ikea light glare reflected in the mirror)
For the most part everything went well and no major incidents except the exploding pencil, the fact that I smacked my head into the wall and ended up with a bang-ful of paint and I managed to get a splinter...in my bum! Gaaaahhh!
I got my inspiration to paint stripes from the following sources: