Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chump change artwork makeover

What does $3 and some change getcha?

In my case I got 2 crap-tastic pictures. But wait ! There's more!  Remember how I talked about releasing my inner dude because I am decorating a man cave for the hubb's BFF? I was trying to find dude-ly art that wasn't Nascar, a buck, a babe  or a pick up truck. So I went for boats and water. These are kinda manly ...right?

Picture #1 was a cheap-o print framed in an even cheaper fake tacky goldi-sh metal-plastic frame. I sorta ripped it apart before I remembered I needed a before picture.  oops!  It was originally priced $1 at Goodwill but it was 50% off day so I got it for  $0.50

Add to this 1 worn and very blah solid oak picture frame. This was serendipitous because I had this in my garage for some time. I had picked it up for $2 and miracle of miracles it was a perfect fit!
Using 100 grit sandpaper I gave the frame the twice over to remove the gloss/ lacquer so my paint would have something to stick to. I tacked it off when finished. I am left with a very dull  looking frame. But that is about to change.
This is the first sanding. Notice there is still a bit of glossy appearance in 2 small areas? A 2nd  pass eliminated that.
Out comes the hammered bronze paint (it is what I had on hand AND the "hammer" finish hides any imperfections on the frame).  Just remember SAFETY first when spray painting. Avoid open flames, spray in a well ventilated area and use PPE  (Proper Protective  Equipment). I am using a half face respirator equipped with organic vapor cartridges. Any Home Depot or Lowe's will carry respirators and replacement cartridges specific to your application (painting, dust/ particulates, toxic dust, multi-purpose, etc) Prices for replacement cartridges to a full kit can vary from $14-$50. Remember this is a small price to pay to protect your health! (And sorry for the VERY bad picture of me)  
Here's the frame after 2 thin coats, looking kinda snazzy!
Here it is clean glass and everything. Looks almost classy right?
Well I said there was more and here ya' go. Picture #2 was priced at $2 but because it was 50% off day at GW I got it for a buck! Yahoo! This one is an actual photograph which is why it was more expensive than the other. The picture frame is solid wood (but black) and didn't work with the rest of the stuff going in the space.
The back was papered over so I couldn't remove the glass. Instead I used 3 sheets of printer paper, taped them down and painted in place.
Ta-da!
They almost look like they go together. Not bad for $3.50
So I asked the hubb's BFF (for whom this artwork is intended) what he thought of these and HE LOVES IT! Wah-Hoo!  Of course both the guys were completely impressed with my thriftin and handy dandy skills. The best compliment I could get though is when they said. they looked like they would easily cost $20 apiece or more and they looked kinda classy. Haha, I'll take it! 

From Crap-tastic to Fan-tastic! i'm telling you there isn't anything a little paint can't gussy up!
Me=Thrifty Rockstar! (Modest ain't I?)

Linking Up to the following:











How to Nest for Less

UndertheTableandDreaming 



Beyond The Picket Fence

Home Stories A2Z


Fine Craft Guild

shabby creek cottage








21 comments:

  1. This was a funny post! I love your description of manly artwork. Hee hee! The "new" art looks much better after your hard work. I'm sure your husband's friend appreciates all your hard work in making his space look great!

    Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon--Thanks. You what's funny is the hubbs was like "is that for me?" lol He looked so crushed when I said it was for his BFF. I told him I would find some cool pictures for him too. Yeah the BFF (or stray as I cam him) is real happy and appreciative for me helping.

      Delete
  2. Almost free makeovers are my favorite kind! Your pictures look great and I can't wait to see the mancave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I can't believe how much better they look! I will definitely be blogging abiut his man cave. I already warned him if I have to put my blood. sweat and tears into it--I am blogging about it. haha It's funny because whenever I have my camera out now the hubbs and BFF always ask if I am taking pictures for my blog.

      Delete
  3. you could have a new career decorating man caves! Looks nice! I totally agree too, there's pretty much nothing a little paint won't fix up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect balance of manly and stylish ....

    ... with no beer cans in sight!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,

      Haha I know right?! Although sadly I am SURE as soon as I am out of there it will be beer cans galore!

      Delete
  5. LOL I love the pic with your mask on. :) Great job on finding the frames and doing a fun makeover without spending a lot of money. Aren't those the best????
    Hugs,
    Bj

    You are being featured on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very impressive use of $3! I LOVE the photo in the second frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aramelle! I gotta say it was kinda hard to give that one away. I really liked it! And I must say you are one crafty Momma! Wedding dress alterations!?! I can barely sew a button. Looking forward to seeing more of your blog!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, great job thrifting and with the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah-Thanks for visiting & commenting! I snuck a peek at your blog and I love the cabinet makeover and your laundry room. I can't wait until I have bit ore time to read more.

      Delete
  8. What is better than free? Stopping by from the "Linky Follower Party" hop! You can find me at www.lucasandmahina.com!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Its Cheri from Its So Very Cheri and the Linky Follower party.

    I am following everyone who signs up and would love it if you follow me as well (if you haven't yet). I appreciate everyone who follows me back.

    xoxo,
    Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri

      Thank you for hosting and I have been following for some time. Love your blog!

      Delete
  10. I love a great find and an awesome sense of humor, and you have both. Way to go! Great job on your post. I found you on the It's So Very Cheri Blog Hop and am glad I did. I am now following you on Linky and would love a follow back.
    Evelyn
    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn

      Thank you for commenting and following. How lucky you are to be retired! And to plan on travelling in a rv. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a touch jealous! You have a lovely family. Congrats on be married to your best friend (Although I had to look up USBP--then was like duh!!, haha). My hubbs and I just celebrated 20 yrs married. I am following you via linky!

      Delete
  11. These are great photos and they go so well together! You turned that sad little laminate frame into a showstopper! I found you at Cheri's blog hop, and am your newest follower, will you follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Thank you for stopping by, commenting and following! I am following you back. That pink cream-cicle martini sounds delish!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!