Friday, March 9, 2012

Foodie Frugal Friday #4



Welcome to Foodie Frugal Friday #4! Fridays are my "day off" from my blog. Every Friday I will feature some recipes from across the web and blog-land.


The weather is still playing fickle. Monday we had a dusting of snow. Wednesday we had beautiful blue skies, sunshine and was sweater free 63°F. Thursday was rain, rain rain but 55°F.  Spring is formally around the corner (March 20th y'all!) So I declare Spring has Sprung! What is more spring than a brunch/ garden party? And if I ever get around to hosting my ladies garden party luncheon these are some of the yummy foods I am gonna serve!

One of the first foods I always think of for a Spring menu is the ever versatile Fritatta. You can make a fritatta to serve all seasons, all reasons and any appetite. I didn't have a picture of the fritatta that I make so I had to find one from the web. Oh boo!

source

Here's what you need:
6 eggs 
1/4 c. fine shred cheese (I use an Italian blend)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.ground  red pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tbs Olive Oil 
1 bunch of spinach washed and stemmed
8  cherry tomatoes quartered  

(scale ingredients depending on the number of servings required)


Step 1
In med sized bowl whisk together eggs, cheese and spices. Set this aside to cook the spinach.


Step 2
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. (water droplets should sizzle and dance across the skillet). Add the spinach to skillet and saute until the spinach wilts (about 2 minutes). Stir occasionally to avoid the spinach burning.  Add the tomatoes and cook for additional minute, stirring occasionally.

Step 3
Add the egg, cheese spice mixture to the skillet. Cover and let cook until the eggs are set (12 minutes).  Remove from heat and let stand 3-5 minutes. Invert semi cooled fritatta to a platter carefully. Cut into wedges and serve.

A good accompaniment is a Prosciutto, Pepper and Mozzarella Panini. Rachel Ray has an awesome recipe! Looks soooo good!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/panini-with-prosciutto-roasted-pepper-and-mozzarella-recipe/index.html

 And you need a little green to go with the Paninni and Fritatta. How about a tasty Radicchio, Fennel and Pear Salad.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2668

The finishing touch is this Melon-Berry dessert. Just the right amount of sweet for a lovely Spring luncheon.
Melon Berry Salad
http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidefruitsalads/r/strawberrysalad.-8zv.htm

Be sure to have a variety of beverages on hand. Tea (hot and iced), Coffee, sparkling water, and for the adult beverages a nice white wine or class it up with Bellini's. A nice tray of almond biscotti and Anise tea cookies will be appreciated for the nibbles.

Are you hungry yet? 

Can you just picture the table dressed in crisp white linen and a floral centerpiece of daffodils, tulips, crocus and hyacinth perfuming the air?
frugalflower.com
Each place setting a will be collection of mismatched china of family heirlooms and filled in with similar pieces from yard sales and thrift stores
flickr.com
It sounds simply divine, does it not? Makes me feel downright sociable. Good weather, good food, good friends (and maybe a little drinky-tinky) are all you need.

Happy weekend y'all!



2 comments:

  1. I feel as though you should dedicate a post to just me, your awesome vegetarian daughter.

    On a side note, when are you planning that tea party in the garden? I will set vacation time aside so that I can enjoy/snap photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new Linky Follower. I hope you will follow back.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!