Friday, March 30, 2012

Foodie Frugal Friday #7


Welcome to Foodie Frugal Friday #7 ! Fridays are my "day off" from my blog. Every Friday I will feature some recipes from across the web and blog-land.

I went to the grocery store  and found myself in the produce aisle admiring all the delicious seasonal fruits and vegetables. They all looked so good I wanted to buy everything! Then I started wondering what is actually in "season"? I live in Ohio and everything is pretty much dormant except for lettuce, spinach, peas and radishes...IF you were lucky and smart enough to start them early. Given that it is March that is a risky proposition. I did start my garden early but that was only after checking The Farmers Almanac, spying on following the old -tymie farmers around the area and dancing naked in the garden under a full moon with a goat. HAHAHAHA--just seeing if you were paying attention!
I found this great map/chart on Epicurious that lists the peak season produce by state--so that is kinda cool!
Can you imagine what is was like before the times of interstate transport? You wanted watermelon in January there was no market around the corner where you could mozy in and pick up out of season produce. When I do purchase produce I try to purchase ONLY those items grown in the US. Sometimes that means denying myself but it is worth it to support US farms. Most of the stuff in the local market is sourced from  Florida, Washington, Texas and California.

So what's in "season"? Artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, squash, spinach, sweet potatoes, pears, apple, grapefruit, lemon and kumquats--just to list a few!

Bacon wrapped aparagus bundles!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/bacon-wrapped-asparagus-bundles-recipe/index.html

Roasted broccoli with Parmesan and pine nuts...mmmm

kalynskitchen.com

Crunchy and flavorful chicken cabbage salad!

Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=287

An apple pear salad with lemon poppy seed dressing? Yes please!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pear-salad-with-lemon-poppy-seed-dressing-10000001589419/

Oh Yum!! Curried beef stuffed squash!

Curried Beef-Stuffed Squash Recipe
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Curried-Beef-Stuffed-Squash

How about a nice Kumquat and ginger cocktail?

Kumquat Ginger Caipirinha - Leblon Cachaca
http://cocktails.about.com/od/rumrecipes/r/kmqtgngr_cprna.htm

Kumquats not your thing? What about the Grapefruit Moon?

http://www.signaturedrinkseries.com/?portfolios=grapefruit-moon

Happy Weekend Y'all!


1 comment:

  1. I used to do the buying produce out of season thing.....but that stopped once hubby retired. Too expensive. And really, the flavor is so bland. They have to pick it unripe to ship such long distances. Now that we're eating "in-season", we really appreciate those tomatoes in August or the first spinach in April. It may be a bit boring sometimes, but the taste of stuff picked RIPE---makes it so worth it!
    (and it's cheaper too!!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!