Monday, April 2, 2012

Change of plans--it's Toddler time

No Funky and Frugal finds Monday this week! I am babysitting my nearly 4 yr old niece this week so I won't have much time (or energy) for large posts. 

She is currently taking a nap (phew) which gives me an opportunity to do a quick post. Our plans for today are to have a grill out/ picnic in the back yard and to play in the garden.

When she wakes up from her nap, we are going to take a quick trip to Target so I can spoil buy my niece her very own garden tools!
Kids Garden Tools Bag.Opens in a new window
Target, $12.99
And we are buying a flower pot and some marigold seeds so she can have own flower garden!

Maybe something like this?
As far as the grill out/ backyard picnic goes-- burgers, dogs, baked beans, potato salad, strawberries and angel food cake. Yum!!

Here is my kid friendly baked bean recipe 

(Canary beans are bigger and firmer bean--perfect for little fingers and unsteady spoons. There are no diced vegetables, it's not very spicy and it's kinda sweet)
2 of the  16 oz cans of  Canary beans drained and rinsed (I use Bush brand)
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/4 c water
2-3 tbs molasses
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 c brown sugar (packed firm)
1 tbs mustard
1 tbs onion powder
1-2 tbs dried minced onion
1/4 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of  cumin powder

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Bake at 350° for about an hour until sauced has thickened. You can add some fried and very well drained bacon crumbles if you like.

Happy Monday Y'all!


2 comments:

  1. Kid friendly??? How about 40something year old hungry man friendly? YUM!

    Have fun! I think introducing kids to gardening of any kind at a young age is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey FM--it is hungry anyone friendly! lol She loves to garden! her dad just called me after picking her up and said now she wants to grown green beans and carrots. haha

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!