Saturday, April 21, 2012

Glazed Carrots (Canning Boot Camp-Part 2)

Well, right after we finished making the strawberry jam we took a lunch break to eat. I wish I had taken a picture of the beautiful spread of food our instructor, Sonya, had set forth. Except I was to busy stuffing my face, haha. 

There was a nice selection of meats, cheeses, large globular grapes, HUGE strawberries, relishes, and pickles. OMG--let me tell you about the pickles. I swear I dreamed about them. It was food nirvana. Especially the watermelon rind pickles. I am not kidding when I say I heard an angelic choir and jar was illuminated by rays of light. They were that GOOD! 50-70 years ago fruit pickles were common place. Now you can find them is specialty stores, but at a premium price. Also there was brie, bread and a variety of jams. It was a foodies paradise! My tummy just growled--I'm hungry!
Watermelon Pickles

Cold Pack Canning

The second recipe we learned to can was glazed carrots using a cold pack method and a steam canner.


I didn't have a good photo on how to julienne the carrots-Here's a great tutorial
 Photography by Mark O'Meara

Making the syrup 

You need brown sugar, water and orange juice 
This would add nice  lil' sumim-sumim!


And since I messed up all my prep pictures I had to source images from the web--DOH!




And here is my "canned" glazed carrots

For specific canning directions:
http://pickyourown.org/canningcarrots.htm
http://newlifeonahomestead.com/2010/12/canning-recipe-glazed-carrots/

2 comments:

  1. Your canning boot camp sounds so neat! And, delicious. I would love to do something like that. I've always wanted to learn but don't have the patience to do it myself. A class would be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      Class was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the diversity of everyone's background, interests and hobbies. Check here: http://www.freshpreserving.com/community/classes.aspx Perhaps there is a local class being offered, check Craigslist and the local paper. It doesn't take much to get bit by the canning bug!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!