Monday, June 25, 2012

In a Pickle (part 2)

As I talked bout earlier in my In a Pickle Part 1, I attended a pickling canning class. And after much whining on my part discussion , Sonya aka The Jam and Jelly Lady included a fruit pickle for the class.Wahooo!  And I wasn't so slackerish and managed to get some pictures  for this one...sheesh.

Pickled Pears

I know what y'all are thinking...Pickled Fruit...eeew. I gotta tell you I used to think the same thing. They aren't pickled like a dill pickle-unless that's your thing. Pickled fruits are simply fruit that have been simmered in a spicy, sour, and/or sweet syrup. The acid (usually a form of vinegar) helps in preservation but also imparts a tangy kick. Combined with a variety of spices the end result is a complex flavor that makes your taste buds sing Hallelujah! The combinations of fruits, spices and flavors are endless. You are only limited by your imagination.
Peeled, cored and skinny dippin' in very dilute lemon juice to avoid browning.
The lemons were sliced so thin they were almost translucent
Cooking the pears
Making the syrup
Free pear aromatherapy steam facial!
A perfect union
Can I eat it now?
What about now?
Look at the spices, pepper and lemon slice.  
I wish there was smell-o-blog because let me tell you the aroma was DI-VINE! And btw--we totally sampled what was leftover in the batch pot...Errrrmeeehhhhgaaawwwddd! I could have died on the spot. It was that good. 

Wondering how to serve the pickled pears?

How about an Endive Salad with pickled pears?
source
Or a ham, brie and pickled pear flatbread?
printworksbistro.com
Or you can be all fancy pants hoity-toity and serve it with Foie Gras or over pastry with Stilton cheese.

But I think the best way is over vanilla ice cream...
The flavor is warm, spicy, sweet and a hint of tart....YUM!!

~*LINK UPS*~

BJ@Joy2Journey Sunday Stop#16



















3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....pickled peaches? I am not a huge fan of peaches, but I bet they would be delish pickled, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am positive they will be delicious! (Now I am off to find some recipes, lol)

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is new to me and because it is something you just don't see ... I am featuring you on "The Sunday Stop"! SO ... In a bit come by and see it. I am a bit late due to Mr. Man having a Birthday :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!