Thursday, June 21, 2012

Off to a good harvest

 It has been so hot as in HOOOOT and it is only the beginning of summer. So the hubbs has been assigned the enviable task as my water mule and drags the hose the 250 feet behind the house to water the veggie garden.  (That's true love, haha) Despite the heat and my epic battle with the cucumber beetles we are off to a good harvest with the garden.

Tonight's haul was: 2-Zucchini, 2-green peppers, 6 good size yellow squash, 2 large green tomatoes, a dozen good size carrots, and a handful of bunching onions.

 I figured there has to be a couple of meals in this so the first thing I made was fried green tomatoes which is one my hubbs favorites!

Fried Green Tomatoes

2 large firm, green tomatoes (I had 1 big, 1 small, whatever)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup  flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp balking powder
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8  tsp garlic powder
salt
vegetable oil

The trick to a crunchy crust is to draw the water out. Salt both sides of the tomato, place on a paper towel or use a cooling rack. Let the tomatoes stand for 30 minutes. Then gently pat dry to remove excess moisture and salt.
 Buttermilk will give the crust a sweet tang.  The crust will have a nice crunchy texture because of the cornmeal and Panko bread crumbs.
Dredge your tomato in the buttermilk. I let it sit a good  minute on either side. Did you know the acids in buttermilk act as a natural tenderizer? Then dredge in crust coating.
Place dredged and coated slices into a pan preheated (medium heat) with enough oil to cover half the height of the tomato. Cook until golden  brown.
About 2 minutes on both sides.
 Place on a cooling rack or paper towel to drain oil. I served it with an onion relish and some bunching onions on the side. A creamy horseradish sauce would also be a great complimentary dipping sauce. Serve immediately.

Garden=Happy.   Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Fried green tomatoes are served as an appetizer in many restaurants around here. My brother always requests them when he visits in the summer. Your recipe is like the one I use except I don't use spices just black pepper.

    Thanks alot for making my Dad's tiny garden seem so ..........well, tiny! LOL. He used to have a huge garden and was like you planting everything possible and in great amounts. After moving here, he just can't get gardening out of his mind so he enjoys having even these few plants. I envy you for having a place where you can grow your food. We like where we live but we did have to give up some things like vegetable gardening. Hope yours continues to produce well. Thanks for stopping by!---------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!