Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Squash-a-Palooza

My 2 little  (ok not so little) yellow squash plants are quite prolific!
1 days harvest allowed me to put up 6 lbs of squash in the freezer. I am sure come winter I will appreciate the summer flavor as a side dish or in a casserole.

Blanching your vegetables is really easy,  no special tools or equipment needed. and you can work in small batches.

You will need a boiling pot, some ice and large bowl (or you sink will do as long as it is really really clean), a slotted spoon, a colander, some freezer bags, and a cookie sheet.

Here was my set -up

1. Bring  salted water to boil
2. Clean your vegetables well. Remove bad spots.
3. Cut your vegetables into 1/2  slices (don't leave the squash exposed for more than 30 minutes or it will begin to brown.)
4. To a large bowl add ice and some water for the quench.
5. Add you vegetables to boiling water. Cook no more than 3 minutes.
6. Remove with a slotted spoon into ice bath. (Leave in the ice bath for at least 2 minutes)
7. Remove from ice bath into a colander to drain.
8. Pat dry with paper towels.
9. Place the blanched veggies on a cookie sheet. 
10. Place in freezer until firm.
11. Transfer to freezer bags, label and date.
12. Repeat as necessary

Make sure to keep plenty of ice in the quench bath. This can be used in casseroles, mashed for breads or a last minute add in to a quick saute. Obviously the texture will not be as firm as fresh so it can't be grilled. You will appreciate the effort to have a little taste of summer in your winter menu's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!