Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Monsoon Muck

I am sure it wasn't really a monsoon but we had a helluva storm blow through again today. Straight line winds at 65 miles per hour, rain so hard it was a water wall and blowing sideways. Not to mention there is debris EVERYWHERE! Garbage cans are rolling in the streets, tree limbs are down, our swing toppled over, water was overflowing from my pool, and my decorative windmill was tossed 5 feet from where it normally sits in the front flower bed (the stakes were ripped up  as well).

And my garden...ugh!  Everything is toppled over. The tomato cages bent and twisted like bad sculpture. Lots of tomatoes are off the the vine. So I shoved my fat calves into some muck-lucks, braved the mud pit of a garden to attempt to salvage what I could and get an up close and personal look at the damage.


I didn't take my camera back with me in fear I would fall and drop it. Then it (and possibly me) would get sucked under like the Le Brea tar pits. No thanks!

I may lose a couple tomato plants and possibly 1 pepper plant,but hopefully everything else will survive and upright itself. Otherwise we can combine harvesting with a crazy game of twister, haha.

Gardening is never easy (at least for me) but is sure is worth all the trials and tribulations.


6 comments:

  1. I love how you write Tonya!! Love your sense of humor. Looks like you were able to salvage quite a bit though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was able to salvage quite a bit. I am waiting for the hubbs to get home from work so he can heft some the plant laden cages up. It is a tangled mess back there!

      Delete
  2. Rotten storms. Does it ever JUST RAIN anymore???? No. I think the weather has turned LOOPY!
    Hope everything turns out ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it always crazy the world is gonna end kinda weather. Should I be worried? haha

      Delete
  3. Been there done that! Over and over, ha. Sorry for your bad weather. Like Sue said, it just seems we don't ever get just nice gentle soaking rains anymore. It's like 3 inches per hour along with wind and hail and all the bad stuff. I'm always grateful for rain but I'd rather not have the rest of it.

    Nice harvest by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should get another rain gauge. I wonder how much rain we were hit with. I have enough tomatoes for 3 batches of salsa---yay! I do not have enough green peppers though... boo

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!