Sunday, August 19, 2012

So much for a bargain

Last weekend I found an AWESOME chair on clearance at the grocery store. Yes the grocery store. It is Kroger Marketplace. You can buy everything you need for your house, well from furniture to groceries. It is a tad  modern for me and my house but I liked the neutral color (browns) to match my brown couch. The design isn't too foo-foo which is funny because I love girly florals. Anyhoo I purchased the chair for 70% off for  a reasonable $75.00. The chair is the perfect scale in my miniscule living room.


But then I realized the pattern on the new chair didn't work with the quilt I usually have tossed on the couch. Ok no problem, I will just take the quilt off. HA! Big problem. I have 2 dogs and 1 cat. And they kept getting fur and stuff all over the suede of the couch. I was stressing and of course they were acting like I was beating them or something when I told them to GET OFF THE COUCH!

Obviously we know who rules my house. My animals... because I gave up trying to keep them off the furniture. I was tired of vacuuming it 5 times a day. I do have several slip covers but they don't match the chair. I priced compatible slipcovers and even some plain coverlets--Um NO! I can't afford that! I finally settled on a king sized fitted chocolate brown sheet for $11.00. ...Ahh much better!

It isn't pefect by any means but it is protecting my couch and saving my sanity. And stopping my dogs from acting like they're abused....sheesh.  I can take it off when company comes over (which is usually never), and it is definitely way easier to clean than the suede. Seriously what was I thinking when I got this couch? I was thinking it was cheap!

And because the room has lots of brown in it I felt like it needed a little something to break up the chocolate fest going on...mmmm chocolate, so I added some new pillows from Garden Ridge ($9.99 each). They added the much needed pop of color and even pull corresponding shades from the chair.

Except now I am thinking I may need to update the curtains. And the lamps.  And you know I need to paint or stain the chest I am using for a coffee table. So much for a bargain right?


5 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh, it's a problem all right. It's how we ended up redoing the whole darn house. Once you get the living room done, it will move to the next room. Save yourself, Tonya!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did a double take when you said you purchased it at the grocery store! Very nice! Great neutral color and a classic shape that won't go out of style. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya! I always appreciate your honesty! It really makes me smile :)
    I think we must be long lost sisters! I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 birds, 1 hamster, 2 aquariums, and a yard full of chickens. Needless to say, they come with fur, feathers, dust, stink, etc.. But I love them and they make me smile every day! I think the sheet is a very easy and good way to help with these issues. Isn't it funny how dogs like to make you feel like you are so mean? I bought a huge dog bed at Costco that is filled with ceder and fluff, it smells good and I try to keep my German short-haired off the furniture with that. But at night she always sneaks up there! I love the chair you bought. Who knew you could find stuff like that at the grocery store!
    I wanted to thank you for all your kind thoughts toward me during my blog down time. I decided to come for a visit today to some of my favorite blog buddies. Glad to see you are doing well. I still have time needed for healing.
    Bless you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bargain find is my wish to find.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!