Sunday, April 7, 2013

Good Fences make Good Neighbors

Robert Frost said it best and who am I to argue?

I am so excited because we are FINALLY getting a fence! WooHoo! The (north side) neighbors have decided to fence in part of their backyard and now we are too! We only had to fence 3 sides to begin with since the (south side) neighbor already has a fenced yard.

Instead of an old fashioned barn raising we are having a fence building party to be scheduled in May/June. We used a distance measuring wheel to figure out how much linear fencing we would need. (That is a very neat little tool). Anyhoo, we are going to split the cost of renting the 2 man post hole auger (which  breaks down to about $50 per household).

The only issue we have, is the neighbors are installing split rail (with wire mesh backing) and we are going to install chain link. We need to figure out out how to marry the 2 styles so to speak. I would really like the chain link that would run the entire length of our yard (shared property line) and have the north side neighbors tap off of it and install the 3 sides of split rail. At least this way I could maintain visual continuity and the same style for my yard. 

What is the protocol for splitting cost on fencing materials? I will offer to pay for the shared property line chain link (otherwise 1/3 of the shared line would be split rail) and maybe get them to buy some concrete mix for setting posts?  Or do I just suck it up and absorb the entire cost of the shared property line since I want the chain link?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I will keep you posted...bahaha...post-get it?



5 comments:

  1. But ... I love the split rail with the wire meshing (whine whine). Just happy that you are going to have all the fencing you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol--I am so excited! Getting the fence means putting the kitchen remodel off for probably another year. It will be so nice to not have to worry about the dogs--they will have plenty of space to run AND no worries with other animals coming into the yard (both 2 and 4 legged variety).

      Delete
  2. Split rail! Split rail! Split rail! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you make a good argument, haha If I really could choose I would actually have the whit picket fence. However, I want as little upkeep as possible. Chainlink is the most attractive but it is durable and retains value better. :-)

      Delete
  3. In my area, nice neighbors split the fencing costs. Otherwise, they can't attach anything to it- such as cross fencing. And be absolutely sure where you property line is.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!