Friday, May 10, 2013

A 45 minute inspired project

As promised in my Friday post I am working on projects during my break between semesters. One of several things I worked on was my inspiration board. I mean a real life inspiration board as opposed to to my Pinterest boards

Take one plain (ugly) cork board and with a little wave of jazz hands yeah you get a not so plain (maybe kinda nice looking) pin board. You see what I did there, eh eh? Pin board sounds soooo much more fancy than cork board.
I very carefully popped the cork board out from the frame. 

I did a quick sand and tack off of the frame before hitting it with several very light sprays of hammered metallic brown paint (allowing to dry between sprays)

Next I raided my hoard stash of fabric for some material to cover the pin board which I did a rough cut to fit the dimensions of the board (12x24 inches) by adding about an inch to each edge. After cutting I ironed the fabric smooth.

I flipped the pin board over and placed the "good side" of the cork to the wrong side of the fabric. I pulled the fabric smooth and taut while reinserting the  pin board in the frame. once pin board was reinserted, I smoothed any wrinkles and ran a bead of hot glue on the back side of the board to hold the fabric in place.
 

I reinstalled the wall hanging hardware, added 1/2 inch clear bumpers so as to not to scratch the wall and added a few inspirational pictures/ motivational quotes. Now when I sit at my desk, although I may not have a direct window view, I have an inspired view. Oh and I used orphaned earrings as my pins, which makes it funky and blingy!

The quotes are:

"Success is a journey, not a destination"-Ben Sweetland (author of  several self help and motivational books)

"Striving for success without hard work, is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"-David Bly (Minnesotan Democrat and Farm Labor Party)

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"-Henry David Thoreau (an abridged quote from hs conclusion in Walden. One of the most renowned  (and still modernly relevant) Transcendental philosophies to be published. 

"If  you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" -Marcus Tullus Cicero (An ancient Roman philosopher)

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"- Eleanor Roosevelt

I hope you find this as inspirational as I do!





6 comments:

  1. That's quite lovely. I have several old cork boards that I think I'll try this on one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a small one upstairs in my spare room ny my craft station. I think I might update it as well.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a little creativity and DIY to lift your spirits between busy days. Love the bulletin board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must say it does make me smile when I look at it. Now I am looking for a few more inspirational doodads to add to it

      Delete
  3. I like it you solved your problem in a very creative way. It is something you can change out and look at great job! Thank you for sharing Tonya at The Creative Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was relatively simple. My hardest choice was what fabric to use, haha

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!