Monday, June 24, 2013

Sown and Harvest #11

Hello all my dear bloggies!

I would say summer had decided to finally drape across the Midwest like a soggy blanket. Phew- it is hot and humid! My veggie garden was off to a slow start because it was cool and damp for so long then BAM overnight the icky hot days of summer. Wouldn't it be nice if there was an in between?

I did a lot of companion planting this year. I planted marigolds pretty much everywhere in the garden beds.

 Basil with tomatoes (and a few marigolds tucked in, lol)

Oregano with the peppers (all my extra marigolds ended up here)

I have a very large container of sage next to the brussel sprouts along with thyme in the bed and the small pot in front of it.


Rosemary with the carrots.
Radishes with all the squash
Spinach with the beans.
Pumpkins and corn together  (Sort of a take on the Native American 3 sisters companion planting)

I tried trellising my cucumbers with upside down old & broken tomato cages. We'll  see how it goes. 


Here is the rundown of  what's growing in my garden:

Fruits and Vegetables
Asparagus
Beans
Brussel Sprouts
Blackberries
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Corn
Cucumbers
Grapes
Lettuce
Peppers (Hot, various)
 Peppers (Sweet, Bell)
Pumpkins
Radishes
Raspberries
Spinach
Squash (Butternut)
Squash (Yellow)
Squash (Spaghetti)
Squash (Zucchini)
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Watermelon

Herbs
Basil
Chives
Cilantro
Mint
 Mint (Grapefruit)
Mint (Orange)
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme (Lemon)

How about you? What's going on in your garden?




2 comments:

  1. Holy cow--send us some of your hot/humid weather. My tomatoes are just SITTING THERE shivering. Nothing is growing....no rain, no heat. I'm envious....though I really hate hot weather for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey--you can have it! I can handle hot, I just can't handle the humidity. I swear it makes it hard to breathe! I have to haul my rear out to the garden around 5:30am and face the bugs just to avoid the heat.And you KNOW I am not a morning person! Of course it is awfully peaceful first thing in the morning. My favorite part it seeing the morning dew droplets glimmering on the plants. That and how earthy and clean everything smells.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!