Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Freaky garden stuff

Y'all there is some freaky stuff going on in my garden...mutant vegetables, mutant bugs and a mutant pepper plant on it's way to being a pepper tree. 

Did someone come and dump radioactive ooze in my garden when I wasn't looking?

My mutant radish, compared to a normal sized radish, weighing in at a whopping 12 ounces, Unfortunately it wasn't  edible since ants had decided to make lovely home in the center of it.  It was neat cutting it open (besides the ants)...because I did the omg there a kazillion creepy crawlies everywhere dance. It appeared to be a quadruplet radish, 4 for 1.  Oh well in the compost  bin it went.


Congratulations-twins, sorta like the movie TWINS-the runt one on the left is Danny Devito and the hulking, steroidal looking one on the right is Arnold Schwarzenegger.


Pepper tree, anyone?  See the puny, normal pepper plant compared to my mutant? Look at the stalk on that sucker!


Any superhero sized veggies or plants in your garden?



4 comments:

  1. What oddities! Living near a nuke plant?-LOL!
    I barely have anything even normal in my garden this year--it's been just awful. I'd even take a mutant right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! Kinda freaky but everything else seems to be pretty normal. I am sorry you are having a bad garden year. If it makes you feel any better I don't have one single ripe tomato yet.

      Delete
  2. That pepper plant IS huge. What kind of fertilizer are you using this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pepper plant is a new bed installed this year that was our tilled soil mixed with Vigoro organic garden soil, I tossed in some leftover organic mushroom compost(maybe .2 cu ft), compost from my bin and a sprinkle of Espoma organic lime.

      All the rest of the beds had a dressing of compost. The tomatoes and squash I just side dressed with Espoma organic Tomato-tone because we have had an excess of rain, and I had a few blossom end rots. This bolsters the Calcium content and helps stop the blossom rot.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!