Monday, July 1, 2013

Instant Garden (at a super cheap price)

I often wonder how many times I say, "I was at Home Depot/ Lowe's/ Tractor Supply/Rural King/ Menard's / Fill in the blank and I found..."?

So yes- it is going to be one of those posts.

I was at Lowe's and that had a crap ton (which is ALOT of stuff) of perennials marked down to a dollar.

Doesn't it look pretty?

A DOLLAR Y'ALL!!
Like I was gonna pass that up, haha no way!!

  (because my trunk/ car because it was full of stuff I was taking to Goodwill for a donation drop off)

I only bought:
6 Shasta Daisies
6 Penstemon
3 Coreopsis
2 Rudbeckia
2 Trailing Cranesbill

I was so excited I almost forgot the main reason I went in there which was to buy some tomato cages because I didn't feel like making any. One of my neighbors gave me 5 more tomato plants and 3 pepper plants. They aren't all heirlooms but it wasn't like I was going to say no. haha

Lilies, Daisies, Coreopsis and Rudbeckia
As I mentioned in an update the kids bought a house, which has nooooo landscaping. I made them a planter barrel but for a buck a piece how could I not get them some plants. Although, no doubt some of these will find their way to one of my garden  beds.
Daisies and dianthus--MINE!
Fortunately for me (and my wallet)  there is a torrential downpour since I don't feel like swimming to Lowe's. I'll be nice and save some plants for other people...

MAYBE

Except the kid called and when I told her about the sale, she said the magic words...
"I'll be there in a few minutes and I have my SUV" 

So much for restraint, haha

2nd trip I bought ...
5 Asiatic lilies
5 fountain grass
4 dianthus
3 bee balm *
1 butterfly bush
Everything was a buck except for the bee balm
*(these were $3.00 each marked down from $7.98)

Penstemon
I think  it is gonna be a nice housewarming gift (well part of it anyway) and the best part?
They are on their way to an instant garden in their first home!


Bee balm, trailing cranesbill,  dianthus
Scarlet Fountain Grass
Butterfly Bush
Here's the cost breakdown


Quantity Original Price Full Price Cost Sale Price Sale Cost
Shasta Daisy
6 $5.98 $35.88
$1.00
$6.00
Penstemon
6 $5.98 $35.88
$1.00
$6.00
Asiatic Lilies
5 $7.98 $39.90
$1.00
$5.00
Fountain Grass
5 $7.98 $39.90
$1.00
$5.00
Dianthus
4 $5.98 $23.92
$1.00
$4.00
Bee balm
3 $7.98 $23.94
$3.00
$9.00
Coreopsis
3 $3.68 $11.04
$1.00
$3.00
Cranesbill
2 $7.98 $15.96
$1.00
$2.00
Rudbeckia
2 $3.68 $7.36
$1.00
$2.00
Butterfly Bush
1 $7.98 $7.98
$1.00
$1.00



$241.76 Total (pre-tax) $43.00



$229.67 Discount (5%) $40.85



$15.71 Tax (6.5%) $2.80



$213.96 Grand Total $38.06






I saved $175.90...WOOT!!!!

Anyone else score some good deals lately?

Shared on
http://hibiscushouse1.blogspot.com/2013/07/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-115.html







12 comments:

  1. What the heck??? That's amazing!!! Dang, I might have to run by my Home Depot and see what they have. With temps hovering near 257, they may be getting rid of plants. Too hot to plant in the ground but I could baby them along in the back yard in town until it's cool. Great buy!!! I'm jealous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I was soooo excited. When the kid drove me over to Lowes as I was loading up the plants in her SUV she said, "Mom you're smiling" I laughed and said "it was because I am happy and I like gardening." Then she called me a nerd, lol...No appreciation!

      Delete
  2. A guy was selling 6 Homestead tomato plants for $1. I picked up a six-pack and one was broken. I told him I wanted another, so he said for me to take all. 12 plants for $1...!!!

    Another guy gave me four persimmon trees and threw in 3 squash plants.

    I bought lots of spring bulbs for $1 package. So, I a hoping they will live and at least bloom next spring. I think I spent $5 and got 24 bulbs.

    Caladium was $1. Wave petunia was full price, but I had three that made it through the winter in a hanging pot, so needed this one full petunia. Two thrift plants died, but they were on sale, too. They are the first two sale plants I let die!

    I love reduced plants.

    The stevia plant was full price, but I have plans for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAHOO!! You scored some good deals! I love reduced plants too! Did you post any pictures? I love seeing what everyone else is doing/ planting, haha

      Delete
  3. Wow-what a deal! I think that could be considered the score of a lifetime. Funny-I was just mentioning to hubby the other day how NONE of the garden centers had any sales this year. Guess I live in the WRONG place-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Sue--I said the same exact thing last week. I was grumbling that no-one had any good sales! Well this sure did shut me up--well from complaining--not from braggin' hahaha

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks I am really excited about helping the kids start a garden. Landscaping stuff for now but I already told them I was gonna put in a raised bed for veggies in the fall. lol

      Delete
  5. Holy moly! What a deal! Good for you! We just got a bunch of herbs (we had some germination failures this spring) for pretty cheap, but no where near the break you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably never score a deal this good or better in my life! Of course it won't stop me from looking, haha!

      Delete
  6. Great deals and great timing too! I always try to pass on my perennials too because I was able to get them for amazing prices years ago. Wonder if our Lowe's has those prices??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy and welcome! When I talked to one of the garden center workers at Lowe's he said they ere priced because the plants were selling. SO it is possible your Lowe's will have something similar depending on what plants are in stock. Good luck and happy bargain hunting!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!