Wednesday, July 31, 2013

No more ugly door

Oh I see a brown door and I want to paint it blue... ok so it really doesn't sync with the Rolling Stones "Paint it Black"



but do y'all remember my crappy brown entry door? The oh so fine 1960's/ 1970's Goldilocks Door? This window is too tall, this window is too short and this window is just right...


Well now it is Rustoleum's Royal Blue. This wasn't my first choice in color but I had this on hand from an old project so I say use what you have



Making some progress...
Before I began, I cleaned the door, sanded, tacked it off  and wiped it down with IPA. I didn't use a primer because Rustoleum enamel is a highly pigmented paint. I am thinking that may have been a mistake not to prime first. 


4 coats later
I think it needs another 1 to 2 coats 


I hate the windows and wanted a little privacy, so I decided to jazz them up a bit. I dug around in my craft box and found some frost effect paint

and a stencil (Martha Stewart's Arabesque)  



It dries more evenly pigmented than this.


A vast improvement at no cost to me since I already had all of my supplies!


I need to take a razor blade to and touch up some of the excess smears but overall I (and surprisingly the hubbs also)are happy with the results. 




Up next... a new door knob--maybe something like this in antique pewter?



The hubbs is gonna power wash the house just to clean up the accumulation of grime.

I found some shutters that I like (simple flat panel) painted in the Royal Blue, of course



Right now my house looks a little too much like White Castle with the blue and white but I have a vision...
I am in love with this color scheme--Butter cream yellow, bright white trim and an accent of royal blue. It looks so happy!


but I also like this color palette because it is more subdued.


Whatcha think?







6 comments:

  1. I have to go with the yellow, I'm a sucker for yellow. If this house wasn't stone, that's the color scheme I'd have gone for.
    The door looks terrific, --I like how you handled the windows (they are goofy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do LOVE the yellow. I was talking to my daughter and it is THE color scheme I always fall back on.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty. Good job Tonya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am kinda kicking myself wondering WHY it took me so long to do anything with it!

      Delete
  3. Yellow. Definitely the yellow. Such a happy color. I would smile everytime I pulled in the driveway.

    And the windows are the door are aces. Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really do think the yellow color scheme would be best--you are right--it is SOOO happy! And I really have a crush on those windows. Now I am looking around the house to see what else I can stencil, haha!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!