Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Small Batch Canning: Pickled Pepper Rings

I literally had a half dozen peppers I needed to do something with, so I thought why not pickle them. This is a super easy recipe and process. Total prep and cook time is no more than 25 minutes (not including overnight brine in the fridge).

I sliced my 4 hot hungarian wax peppers and my 2 marconi red peppers into 1/4 inch slices. It came out to a half pound  for each kind of pepper. I discarded the blossom end and shave the tip end. They received a good rinse then went into a half gallon  ziploc baggie with ice cold water and 1/4 cup of canning salt to brine in the fridge overnight. 


After several really good rinses, the peppers were drained and set to the side. What is nice is the pith and seeds fell out of the rings and I didn't  have to do anything to remove them. In a non-reactive pot combine the following:
2  and 2/3 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cups filtered water
1 and 1/2 teaspoon canning salt
2/3 tablespoon celery seed
1 and 1/3 teaspoon mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
This will be slightly more than you need but better to have too much than too little!


Bring to a boil, add the pepper rings and simmer for 8 minutes.  Ladle into clean hot jars, leave a 1/2 inch headspace, wipe rims, seal and water bath for 10 minutes. I ended up with 4 half pints of pickled pepper rings. 


How to use them?
As a snack
On a pizza
On a sandwich
In a salad


I think I will let them stand on the shelf for a couple of weeks to allow all the flavors to marry and mellow. Well that is if I can keeps the hubbs out the pantry!



2 comments:

  1. This is a really nice way to store extra garden peppers.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velva. I am trying to reduce our waste practices for food. We are pretty good about it but there is always room for improvement! The hubbs is something of a pepper fiend so I know come mid winter he will appreciate these!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!