Wednesday, September 11, 2013

And the walls came tumbling down

My stepdad making quick work of the demolition
 The remodel hit the skids pretty much the first day. We encountered crumbling plaster, wood rot, mold and no insulation- HOORAY! The hubbs is upset because it means more work for him.   I am actually not freaked out because I have waited over a decade--13 YEARS-- for this to happen. The timeline and budget tripled because of this-what I am sure will be the first of many- snafu's.Besides like I told the hubbs, "You can slap lipstick on a pig and it will still be a pig and not a beauty queen." Let's do this the right way and deal with the issues while we have the chance. His response, "I should have tossed in a grenade, it would have been easier."  HA!

Problems 1 and 2
The entire area under and behind the sink is rotted. There is also mold on the wall.
Problem 3
When they pulled the panelling down half the plaster came with it
Problem 4
Water damage around the window far left corner (sill plate) and no insulation.
Do you like the previous owner's quality workmanship? REALLY!! This will be housed in a box and attached to a stud...sheesh

Here's the plan for the next couple of weeks (Sorry some steps may be out of order)
  • Finish tearing out the plaster and lathe on the North wall
  • Cut out the wall boards in the sink area to remove mold. It appears to be contained in a few spots.
  • Bleach and Odo-Ban the walls, allow to dry. 
  • Possibly Kilz the walls. 
  • Cut out a  2 foot by 8 foot floor section (sink area)
  • Sister the joist beams and shim where the floor slopes
  • Determine if sill plate needs repaired
  • Install a floor jack on North-East corner--where the the sill plate is water damaged
  • Move the stove outlet from floor to the wall and update to a new receptacle
  • Lay a new subfloor
  • Add 1-2 new receptacle(s) to the east wall (window wall)
  • Replace, update and attach the outlet to a stud (as shown in above photo)
  • Move, update and wire in a wall switch for the ceiling fixture
  • Replace the window
  • Patch/ repair the remaining 2 walls. Possibly skim coat.
  • Attach furring strips to the exterior walls (North and East) to bump out the depth
  • Insulate and seal. minimize any possible cracks, leaks or vermin/bug/ draft entry points
  • Drywall, mud, tape, prime and paint
It is going to be busy, busy, busy around here!
My stepdad looking a little Dexterish

4 comments:

  1. There always seems to be unexpected problems. Well, you have a good attitude about it. And won't insulation be a treat!!! My gosh, it's amazing the way stuff is cobbled together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited about the entire project even though it is a stinky, dirty, inconvenient mess. Right now I am most excited about updating the window and adding insulation. I can only imagine the impact that will have on our utility bill. It is the small things right? lol

      Delete
  2. "You can slap lipstick on a pig and it will still be a pig and not a beauty queen."

    That's a good one. I'll have to keep that phrase in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple people ask me where I come up with these phrases and I honestly don't know. But everyone seems to enjoy that one, haha

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!