Friday, September 13, 2013

Grilled Biscuits

We are 5 days into our kitchen remodel and the urge for baked goods is driving me crazy. I thought we could plug the stove in the garage if we needed to use the oven bit the hubbs was mistaken on the receptacle. We have 110, 210- 3 phase and 440 in the garage (for arc welding) but no 220 for a stove...wah wah.

So I decided to search the web because surely somewhere, somehow, and someone has "baked" on a grill. And sure enough, I found exactly what I was looking for HERE.

My grill was heated to 350°F. I added 2 tbs of Crisco to my cast iron skillet and let it sit on the grill (indirect heat) for 15 minutes, to melt the shortening and get nice and hot while I made my biscuits. 

For ease of preparation I used a box biscuit mix and to be honest I have no idea where any of my stuff is right now even if I did want to make these from scratch. I added just a tad more milk to make my batter less stiff but not runny. 


I originally tried to mix my ingredients in the Ziploc bag with a spoon and then thought "DUH! Just squish the bag to mix it!"  Which is what I did and  it was waayyy easier.


I snipped the corner of the bag to "pipe" my biscuits into the hot pan. 


The pan was placed back on the grill (indirect heat), close the lid and let cook for 10-12 minutes without disturbing or opening the grill.


After 10-12 minutes I rotated the pan, closed the lid and let the biscuits continue to cook another 10-12 minutes. The biscuits were beautifully browned, slightly crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. In other words-- perfect!


This would be an excellent way to make biscuits if camping. You could premix all the dry ingredients for the biscuits in a Ziploc bag. Add in the rest, "knead" in the bag, pipe in the pan and cook.No muss, no fuss.  The hubbs LOVED these biscuits even though they weren't my scratch biscuits. He asked me would I make them like this even when I have my stove and I said I was considering it!


9 comments:

  1. Those look soooo good. I can't make a biscuit from scratch to save my life. I can make hockey pucks but not biscuits. I have tried at least 10 different recipes. They don't taste so bad but they NEVER rise to be fluffy melt in your mouth biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl you can make these!! I prefer from scratch but I always keep biscuit mix on hand.

      Delete
  2. OK, 2nd Man makes a pretty awesome biscuit but I think this looks pretty awesome as well. Nothing wrong with the mix. And I see the original recipe is with AP flour, etc, so this would be an awesome way to do something fun and different. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually looking forward to trying my scratch biscuits on the grill. I don't have many opportunities to use my iron skillets, since I have a really, really nice set of "everyday" (Zwilling) cookware

      Delete
    2. Side note, your biscuits look prettier than the ones on the linked page, I'm just sayin' ;-)

      Delete
    3. And I thought so too but I thought I would be obnoxious if I said that, haha!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks good. I've got a serious case of the breakfast hungries right now and hours to go until hubby wakes up. Dare I fire up the grill without him???????? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a collective gasp of men everywhere at that thought, lol

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!