Saturday, February 8, 2014

Eggnogged Gingerbread Bread Pudding

It was the first week of January and I was still sugar jonesing coming out of the holiday eating season.  I had a an unopened container of eggnog in the fridge that was soon to go out of date and a partial loaf of gingerbread stashed in the freezer. My brained screamed gingerbread pudding and my taste buds were on high alert.  Yeah, I think I can work with this...

1 & 1/2 cup eggnog

 2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 c. brown sugar, 1 tbs cinnamon
2 cups of cubed gingerbread= 4 slices 

*Not pictured*
2 eggs
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 tbs butter (shaved)

If the bread is frozen, it will cube nicely.  Combine eggnog, eggs and vanilla- mix well. Add cubed gingerbread-let soak until most of liquid is absorbed. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix all ingredients. The batter should resemble a lumpy cake batter. Pour into a heavily buttered pan. Shave butter on top of batter.



Bake at 325°F 50-60 minutes or until set and butter knife comes out of center clean. Place a small oven safe dish in the bottom of the oven that can hold 2 cups of water. You want the oven to stay consistently humid.


When done, the gingerbread pudding will have a custard/ flan consistency. It baked up beautifully-with a  slightly crisp edge- fragrant with caramelized sugar and brown butter, hints of warm spices from the cinnamon and nutmeg, and the rich creaminess of eggnog. Oh so delicious...mmmm
It was good warm but even better the next morning served cold.

The next time I make this (and there will be a next time), I would like to  increase the textural interest by adding some chopped pecans and dried cranberries and I would like to add a pinch of lemon zest, just to brighten all the flavors. Even unadorned it was so yummy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!