Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Beat the Clock Beef Barley

Soup...Stew...Stouwp?  I literally had 15 minutes before I had to leave for work this morning, when I remembered the package of stew beef in the fridge that I needed to use. Not to mention, I needed something for dinner after a day of working and then running to appointments when the work day is over.

A 60 second check of the pantry and freezer indicated I had everything I needed. Disclaimer--this is not a wholesome from scratch recipe but it will give the appearance and taste of one. 


Spritz the crockpot with some cooking oil. Toss the stew beef and dry gravy packet together and pour into the crockpot.


Add to this:
1/2 cup of barley rinsed
12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup frozen diced potatoes
1 cup of frozen mirepoix
8 ounces of  canned tomato sauce
2-15 ounce cans low sodium beef broth
 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
pinch of salt and several dashes of pepper (I prefer to add more salt and pepper to taste upon completion of cooking)


Give it a good stir or 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.


The final result is a thick, rich and hearty soup/stew/ stouwp.  Very flavorful and rich--with beef so tender it falls apart.


I served it with some take and bake french bread -slathered in butter of course-- and a big ol' glass of moo juice. Not too shabby for less than 15 minutes of pep time, eh?



What are y'all cooking?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!