Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween



A dark and stormy Halloween night as I sit alone with only the animals for companions, since the hubbs was called to work. The blustery wind  whistles and howls as  my century old house creaks and groans in protest of approaching winter chill. I settle in for the night with a good book, a cup of hot tea and fuzzy blanket to ward off the chill that has pervaded the house. Nightfall has shrouded the landscape in an inky darkness, as the shadows give ordinary objects an eerie appearance. 

My silent reverie is abruptly interrupted with a repetitive thumping sound on the exterior of the house. Nervously, I peer through the windows,  trying to ascertain what is causing the noise. Do I investigate? Do I wait until the hubbs comes home? Erring on the side of caution, I pick up the house phone to call the hubbs only to hear a line of static. My fear factor ratcheted up a notch or three. No problem, I muse to myself,  I will text him. Only to discover, I have no bars for service. 

The banging noise on the house has not stopped, if anything it has gotten more frantic. I am no longer certain if the pounding I am hearing is outside or if it is the frenetic beating of my heart. The dogs are on full alert, with the hackles up, growling and prowling about the house. I am certainly not comforted by this show of intimidation. If anything it further reinforces the fact I am alone on a dark and stormy Halloween night.

I have to do something. Is it punk kids pulling a prank? An injured neighbor? Flesh seeking zombies??! Gathering my courage and the foot long aluminum policeman's flashlight, I follow in the foolish footsteps of all the victim's in horror movies and open the door to go outside.

As I step out,  the storm door is yanked from my hand. I screech and jump back assuming a batters stance with the flashlight ready to knock someone or something out...Only nothing is there. The wind gusts had grabbed the door. I slowly turn and shine the flashlight , illuminating the dark carport. Hmmm ...nothing. The banging has stopped and I don't see anyone...or anything. I chalk it up to to an overactive imagination. Shrugging it off I turn to step back inside. Whoosh, BAM! A loud, slamming noise right behind me. I scream as the wind carries the sound, then my dogs begin howling and barking. Any second I wait for the feel of cold steel as madman hacks me death...

Yet nothing happens...Deep breath, I turn around and see....the outside storage closet door has been blown open by the wind...There is no mass murderer or flesh eating zombies (that we know of). Just a scaredy cat blogger with an overactive imagination. 

Happy Halloween

4 comments:

  1. Ha--good one.
    I'm always afraid of things that go bump in the night as well.
    Glad it was "nothing"........
    Stay brave!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed about it later...once my heart rate returned to normal, haha

      Delete
  2. Love it! Well, not that you were scared of course but great way of telling us the story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--thanks! I am really glad there wasn't anyone or anything there. Shew it was scary!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!