Friday, October 3, 2014

My flooring is not boring...

Yes, I admit there are quite a few neutral tones in my house. Especially on the bigger items, such as walls, furniture and flooring. I prefer to accessorize with color and pattern, it is much more cost effective to do so. Just my opinion.

As you know, I chose linoleum for the kitchen. Congoleum 's Pacesetter Vintage Slate in Multi Bisque 60054--which was discontinued. Bummer.  I  have decided to go with it. Fortunately, I found some sources-locally-- even though I am still trying to determine if I can get enough for the other rooms. I can't help it, I REALLY  fell in love with this pattern and color. Hopefully, I continue to love it for the next 10-15 years or until it wears out. Good thing that doesn't apply to spouses, haha.

Here is a sneaky peeky of the flooring sample against the painted walls. Again I must remind y'all the color isn't true life. Once we have all the wiring hooked up to the box (in about a week) we will have better lighting, which will hopefully translate to better pictures with an accurate representation of color.


Because guess what y'all? THIS is happening! The flooring is being installed in less than 24 hours. Oh yeah, if we are especially lucky the kitchen cabinets are going in. What? WHAT is right!! All I need to do is run over to my 2nd home (Lowe's) and get the floor adhesive and seam sealer before our crew arrives in the morning. And by crew--I mean my brother-in-law and step-dad. I seriously don't know what I would do without my family... well, SOME of my family, haha.

This is what a 12 foot roll of linoleum looks like. Doesn't look lime much in the picture but it looks ginormous in my room. 


We plan on doing a perimeter glue. Fingers crossed--and not glued-- this goes as planned! It is an empty room and according to the room dimensions we should have 4.5 inches extra on each side, which is more than the 3 inch recommendation. We got this, right?

And I swear I may end up camping out on my new floor. Yeah probably not because I am kinda spoiled with the whole bed thing. But it doesn't mean I won't make googly eyes and stare at it in appreciation. That's not weird is it?

Here's my list from my earlier kitchen remodel post with some additions/ modifications
  • Finish tearing out the plaster and lathe on the North wall
  • Tear out ceiling
  • Cut out the wall boards in the sink area to remove mold. It appears to be contained in a few spots. Decided to do a complete tear out
  • Patch/ repair the remaining 2 walls. Possibly skim coat. Decided to do a complete tear out
  • Build temporary supports for new headers over door and window.
  • Cut out a  2 foot by 8 foot floor section (sink area)
  • Sister the joist beams and shim where the floor slopes
  • Determine if sill plate needs repaired  Damage is minimal-yay!
  • Install a floor jack on North-East corner--where the the sill plate is water damaged
  • Move the stove outlet from floor to the wall and update to a new receptacle-IN PROGRESS
  • Build bump out wall (west wall/ kitchen sink side) to accommodate for out of plumb wall.
  • Lay a new subfloor
  • Replace, update and attach the outlet to a stud on east wall
  • Add 1-2 new receptacle(s) to the east wall (window wall)
  • Add 1 new receptacle to west wall-IN PROGRESS
  • Purchase recessed light housing and trim kits
  • Order focal/ center light
  • Move center junction box, update and wire in a wall a 2 way switch for the ceiling fixture. IN PROGRESS 
  • Install recessed lights perimeter of the kitchen (3 on each wall) and install dimmer switch. IN PROGRESS
  • Install/ wire in electric for stove exhaust hood
  • Replace the window
  • Attach furring strips to the exterior walls (North and East) to bump out the depth
  • Insulate and seal. Minimize any possible cracks, leaks or vermin/bug/ draft entry points-IN PROGRESS
  • Install furring strips to bump out north wall (entry door wall) so drywall is flush with door frame
  • Electrician inspection
  • Drywall, mud, tape, prime and paint IN PROGRESS
  • REPAIR THE EXTERIOR WALL FROM INSTALLING A SMALLER WINDOW--IN PROGRESS
  • Install the linoleum -- IN PROGRESS
  • Install plugs and light switches
  • Final electric connection to the breaker
  • Purchase additional corner cabinet
  • Install cabinets
  • Order remaining counter top (stove side of the kitchen) Order NEW counter tops due to laminate being discontinued--14 days lead time
  • Install counter tops
  • Install sink
  • Install garbage disposal
  • On demand hot water? Maybe???
  • Order and install stove exhaust hood
  • Paint and install new door
  • Purchase door hardware
  • Install door hardware, including kickplate
  • Add a peephole to the door since it is windowless
  • Trim work (doors, the window, baseboards, crown molding)
  • Purchase  tile for backsplash
  • Install tile back splash (sink area), considering backsplash installation on stove side?
  • Install stove and refrigerator
  • Purchase end panel for dishwasher installation
  • Purchase and install a dishwasher
  • Purchase and install cabinet hardware
  • Purchase ceiling medallion
  • Install the ceiling medallion and chandelier
  • Decide on window treatment
  • Order and SEW fabric for window valance/ curtains/ shade
  • Paint  mobile island/ cart
  • DIY some wall art
  • Purchase/ DIY 2 kitchen stools
  • Accessorize
  • Cook, bake and ENJOY the finished kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!