Thursday, November 6, 2014

Italian Pork Stew

Ciao Bella Cibo... Hello beautiful food



I have been perusing cookbooks lately, well in addition to, using Google to view other blogs and pinterest for new recipes. 

I found a recipe for Spezzatino di Maiale which simply means Pork Stew. The ingredients and resulting flavor can vary by region. It is a rustic stew, so there really is no right or wrong way to make it. Maybe there are some Italian Nonna's out there frowning in disagreement ....

Here are some links to other recipes for comparison

I used the ingredients I had available. But I plan on making this again using wine and cannelloni beans. I can only imagine the richness the wine will impart. Or maybe serving it with some creamy parmesan polenta or a nice side dish of risotto...mmmmm

6 medium potatoes cubed
1/3 lb carrots, bite size chunks
2 stalks of celery cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup of diced onion
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 16 ounce can of vegetable stock


1 lb lean pork, trimmed and cubed (I used pork loin)
 2 TBS flour seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic
2 TBS EVOO
Toss the cubed pork in the seasoned flour mixture until well covered. Then I stored mine in a plastic bag, refrigerated overnight.
Heat the oil on med high heat. Saute the pork until golden brown on all sides. It will form a slight crust.


1 10.5 ounce package of cherry tomatoes, blanched and peeled
1 can of tomato soup (I was out of tomato sauce)  Don't judge me!
1 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS onion powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 sprig of rosemary
1 bay leaf


Combine all ingredients as shown
Veggies, broth, pork, tomatoes, bay leaf/ rosemary, sauce (or in my case soup), herbs/ spices, and cover.


Set crock pot on low for 8-9 hours. Make sure to take the bay leaf out before serving.


I can tell you the house smelled fantastic when I came home from work. I whipped up a quick batch of parmesan herbed biscuit bread to go with the stew. 

Follow your normal biscuit recipe, add 1/4 additional milk (to thin the batter), 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp rosemary, and 1/2 tsp oregano. Spritz pan with non stick cooking spray. Add batter, which will be thick. Spread in pan until until it is an even thickness. Sprinkle a little extra parmesan cheese on before baking. Bake at 425°F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown


The stew was fragrant, the pork tender and all the flavors had melded together. The overall flavor was subtle.  It was the right combination of sweet, spice and savory. A delicious, comforting and hearty meal--perfect for a cold and rainy day.  


Whatcha' got cookin'?



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipes, think I'm going to try at least the stew once the weather cools a bit more.
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks delicious!!!!!! And filling!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!