Friday, December 19, 2014

My Cozy Kitchen

When I last posted, we had installed the stove. I have the functional part of the kitchen finished. Now it is time for the finish details and make it pretty!

 I have a corner that is looking pretty darn good. My beautiful Chicago Cutlery knives/ block and bamboo cutting board are not only functional but they look nice too! I have  a command hook mounted on the side of the cabinet (above the knife block) to hang this cutting board when not in use, since it is rather large. I used the 5 lb heavy duty hook and it holding just fine. 

We still need to touch up the wall-meets-ceiling paint, add the painted trim around the window and finish installing the cabinet hardware. But this little corner? I LOVE it!

The shelves turned out better than I had envisioned. Of course, I am certain I will probably rearrange stuff a few (dozen) or more times, until I find just the right look.  Ha   

I had just enough space above the cabinets to display a few favorite things...It is interesting to see a vintage (large jar) Ball blue jar next to the reproduction (small jar); My thrift store find wooden dough tray; The rusty metal basket with vintage and reproduction milk bottles, as well as,  the stoneware crock.

The wooden recipe box was the hubb's woodshop project when he was in 6th grade. The birdcage "recipe" holder is actually a repurposed memo/ picture holder. I think I may give this a light rub of teal or vintage green paint for added interest. And I am super excited to have my glass jars out for storage. Functional and pretty!

The one new accessory is the cookbook holder. I bought it at Tractor Supply almost 2 years ago. It is a chicken wire mesh and with a wooden rolling pin on the front.

I even managed to tuck in my bakers rack next to the pantry cabinet. Then hung some artwork on the side of the pantry. No more big, blank expanse of white. I ended up swapping the artwork out for the Coffee and Tea canvas prints. I am telling y'all, command hooks are the best invention ever!


This weekend the hardware goes in, the paint gets touched up and fingers crossed the center light fixture will be installed.

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot to mention but I am working on my DIY art project and it is sooo cute! It involves scrapbook paper and modge-podge. Here is a sneak peek of the patterns/ colors.


What are you working on?

To see the original list  click here 
  • REPAIR THE EXTERIOR WALL FROM INSTALLING A SMALLER WINDOW--IN PROGRESS On hold due to budget and weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Install sink (part of the counter top fabrication) DONE!!
  • Plumbing! DONE!!
  • Install garbage disposal DONE!!
  • Paint and install the new entry door On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Purchase door hardware--DONE!!
  • Install door hardware, including kick plate On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Add a peephole to the door since it is windowless On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Trim work (doors, the window, baseboards, crown molding and cabinet toe molding)
  • Purchase  additional tile for back splash--expanded project (aka scope creep), now need to tile sink aside and food prep/ cook side On hold due to budget
  • Purchase shelves for open shelving storage between wall cabinet and pantry, as well as, above the sink. DONE!
  • Install tile back splash On hold 
  • Install shelves DONE!
  • Install the refrigerator DONE!
  • Install the stove DONE!
  • Purchase end panel for dishwasher installation--DONE!!
  • Purchase and install a dishwasher--DONE!
  • Purchase and install cabinet hardware--IN PROGRESS
  • Purchase ceiling medallion--DONE!
  • Install the ceiling medallion and chandelier
  • Decide on window treatment--DONE!!
  • Order and SEW fabric for window valance/ curtains/ shade--IN PROGRESS
  • Paint  mobile island/ cart and purchase/ DIY 1 or 2 kitchen stools Sadly there will be no island or bar stools due to space constraints
  • DIY some wall art --IN PROGRESS
  • Accessorize--IN PROGRESS
  • Cook, bake and ENJOY the finished kitchen!

9 comments:

  1. What a cozy kitchen! And I love that color. What was the paint color/maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! The paint is Valspar Ultra (No VOC) Basket 7002-24. It is a creamy yellow-beige. The light determines how it will read in tone/hue. When I have all the lights on in the kitchen it reads the deeper yellow hue. The true to life color shows best in the cookbook stand picture. I actually like how the colr changes. Overall I think it is a very happy color.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tonya! I love yellow--my whole house interior is yellow--but too soft. When it's time to redo I want a tad darker. Your shade is wonderful.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sue. Also FYI, mine is in a Satin finish because I like the way satin paint bounces light around and is easier to clean (especially in a high traffic area) but it also shows imperfections more (roller nap, brush patterns and other little dings) but I like it. You could use eggshell or flat if that would make you crazy, haha. Also my light exposure is due east. And I have "warm" light bulbs in all of the fixtures except the stove which is halogen.

      Delete
  2. WOW!!!!!! You must be so excited. And admit it, I bet you occasionally just go in and stand there and look around....I know I would, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey FM! HA!! I am soo excited. Everyday I unpack something from the old kitchen and find a home for whatever that thing is. Usually requiring me to move a whole shelf or drawer, haha

      But yes you apparently know me well because I do find myself standing in the kitchen, utterly slack-jawed (maybe even drooling) in awe that THIS...IS...MY...KITCHEN! And I have been cooking like crazy. I am so dang happy!

      Delete
  3. Sweeeet! Every inch shows the love & attention you poured into it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!