Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Now you're cooking!

Well actually, I am cooking with electric, not gas. That is ok because NO MORE single burner hotplate!

When I posted the last update on the kitchen remodel- I was waiting on the hubbs to install the stove.  I wasn't home when the hubbs drilled through my floor and ran the line for the stove. My daughter harassed me into going shopping. I am pretty sure this was a diversionary tactic to control my neurotic impulses regarding this project. Either that or the hubbs bribed the kid to keep me away from making him crazy, haha!
There is hole in my new vinyl flooring...sniffle
The hubbs scrubbed the stove inside and out for me prior to moving it back in the house. Hello, my old friend how I have missed you...



Would it be weird if I hugged my stove?

My stove is  oooollldddd!  It was used when it became "new to us" 5 years ago. Based on the serial number/ id plate it was manufactured in 1998.  We know we need to update it sooner vs. later because the storage drawer is rusting out, the enamel is chipped in a few spots  and definitely shows it's age. Fortunately I have the hubbs to replace oven elements, terminal blocks, and stovetop burners to keep it going.

As you can see there is a black and white appliance mish mash. While I am not overly fond of it, the overall effect isn't horrible.

When the microwave needs to be replaced it will be changed to white. Also when we upgrade the stove, fridge and dishwasher those will be white as well. I know, I know--I am probably one of only a  handful of people that doesn't like stainless steel appliances. But I do like-no-LOVE the Whirlpool Ice Collection, which is white with stainless steel accents/ handles. Seeexxxyyy!

This is what I hope to upgrade to by the end of 2015.
Whirlpool White Ice Collection
Still moving forward and checking items off the list. How about you? Do you have any lists you are slowly checking items off?

To see the original list  click here 
  • REPAIR THE EXTERIOR WALL FROM INSTALLING A SMALLER WINDOW--IN PROGRESS On hold due to budget and weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Install sink (part of the counter top fabrication) DONE!!
  • Plumbing! DONE!!
  • Install garbage disposal DONE!!
  • Paint and install the new entry door On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Purchase door hardware--DONE!!
  • Install door hardware, including kick plate On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Add a peephole to the door since it is windowless On hold due to weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Trim work (doors, the window, baseboards, crown molding and cabinet toe molding)
  • Purchase  additional tile for back splash--expanded project (aka scope creep), now need to tile sink aside and food prep/ cook side On hold due to budget
  • Purchase shelves for open shelving storage between wall cabinet and pantry, as well as, above the sink. DONE!
  • Install tile back splash On hold 
  • Install shelves
  • Install the refrigerator DONE!
  • Install the stove DONE!
  • Purchase end panel for dishwasher installation--DONE!!
  • Purchase and install a dishwasher--DONE!
  • Purchase and install cabinet hardware--IN PROGRESS
  • Purchase ceiling medallion--DONE!
  • Install the ceiling medallion and chandelier
  • Decide on window treatment--DONE!!
  • Order and SEW fabric for window valance/ curtains/ shade--IN PROGRESS
  • Paint  mobile island/ cart and purchase/ DIY 1 or 2 kitchen stools Sadly there will be no island or bar stools due to space constraints
  • DIY some wall art
  • Accessorize
  • Cook, bake and ENJOY the finished kitchen!



6 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Congrats on your gorgeous kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!
    But--don't be in any hurry to replace old appliances. I sure wish I had kept mine. The new ones don't last past a few years and I've yet to research a brand that doesn't have complaints aplenty! You're so fortunate to have a hubby that can keep your old one running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am lucky in that regard. I won't be getting rid of the appliances completely. We have an entirely different big project coming up in 2015 where they will be put to good use

      Delete
  3. Hello fellow hater! I finally won the battle for bisque replacement appliances myself. And I whole heartedly agree that the new appliances don't hold a candle to the older builds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL JW! Not sure how old my fridge is but it is still going strong too.I would like to upgrade because matching appliances would be nice. And I really do want one of those fancy french door fridges because it would be so easy to organize/ lots of space. ANd I REALLY want a dual fuel stove. But it is hard to justify those purchases when the old ones still work...

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!