Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Comfort Food

So I am kinda feeling like dookie. I don't have a full-on flu or armageddon type cold but just enough to where my body is like, "Yeah, just a reminder about who's in charge and you don't get a chance to enjoy your weekend" kind of blah...

When I suffer from a case of the ickies, I want comfort food. Except, I feel like yuck and don't have the energy to spend hours cooking. I wanted some type of chicken noodle or rice/ soup/ casserole type thing because that is what sounded...well...comforting.

I went digging through the pantry to see what I had on hand, I had a choice between noodles or risotto, and I went with the risotto. I mean, risotto is so creamy it practically screams comfort.

Ingredients

Begin by pouring your broth into a 2 qt sauce pan on medium low heat. Add to this 2 small bay leaves. You should always have your broth warm when making risotto. Warm broth ensures the butter/ oil will evenly coat the grain to keep it from clumping, as well as, aids in absorption resulting in a creamier consistency.

In a heavy bottom 4 quart stock pot add the 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat. When this is melted let this cook for about a minute with stirring to eliminate some of the liquid.  Add to this 1/4 c diced (frozen) onion. Stir continuously, as to not burn any of the butter solids or the onion, cooking for about 2 minutes. 

Add 1 cup of Arborio rice. Stir well to coat all of the rice. Cook, while stirring frequently until the butter and rice browns and the onion is caramelized (3-5 minutes)


Add the drained canned chicken to the pan, breaking up the chunks of chicken as you saute.

De-glaze the pan by adding the wine. This is optional but I prefer the subtle notes the wine adds to the risotto. Cook and stir for about a minute until the liquid has flashed off.

Add the heated broth a cupful at a time, while stirring. There are 2 schools of thought on how long it should take to add all of the broth. Some people take 30 minutes to incorporate all of the broth. I added mine over 10 minutes. It was still creamy at the end of the cooking time. 

Add spices (no specific measurements)

All of the broth

Cover and allow to cook 15 Minutes on Medium-Low, no stirring.

As you can see the bulk of the liquid is absorbed and is beginning to have a creamy texture . Remove the bay leaves at this point. 

Measure out and add the frozen vegetables (1&1/2 c). 


Give a quick stir. Cover and cook  10 minutes on low, no stirring.

Ta-da! Creamy, dreamy risotto. No added heavy cream. No cream of any kind of soup in a can. Just a beautiful blend of flavors and textures. It is earthy, nutty, and buttery. A light yet savory flavor. The vegetables are tender crisp and the shredded chicken melts in your mouth.

 I did add a quick dash of pepper and sprinkle of salt to finish. Serve with butter bread or biscuits and a tall glass of "moo juice". 




2 comments:

  1. Sorry you're not feeling well.
    The meal looks yummy--I love anything with lots of vegetables in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are sick, been there done that as they say, ha. Feel better soon and eat lots of good healthy things and you'll get better.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!