Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Giving the gift of garden

May 30th was my daughter's birthday. I did give her the usual food gift certificate but I wanted to give her something else. She has talked about having a garden but the truth is, she and her husband work so much, that a garden would not be such a good idea.

Then I bumped into this while shopping at Lowes.


It is a raised bed, self watering container for your deck or patio. It was very easy to put together. In under 15 minutes it was assembled and planted with a few of my daughter's favorite plants.

Perforated grid and water tube
It is on wheels for easy movement, nice!

Pack the dirt very tight in the corners for proper wicking
2 Flat leaf italian parsley, 2 edamame, 1 yellow squash, 2 red peppers and I tucked marigolds into 3 corners to work as natural insect repellents.

I soaked the soil and sprayed water into the water tube until water came out of the weep holes, which allows for about an inch or so of water.

A Patio beefsteak complete with it's own cage.Not on wheels.

There are already tomatoes on the the vine!
I had to toss in some Zinnia's because they are happy!


I hope this gives her the gardening bug, helps her relax after a stressful day and she enjoys the vegetables of her minimal labor, haha.

4 comments:

  1. THAT is an awesome gift. Good job Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she seemed to like it. One way or the other--I WILL make gardening her hobby, haha

      Delete
  2. Awesome gift. You win "best mom" for this birthday idea!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!