Sunday, November 1, 2015

One pot chicken soup

There are so many things to love about autumn. The colors of the falling leaves; the earthy smells mixed with the spicy scents of cinnamon; the brisk air and warming by a cozy fire; dressing in layers, sipping on warm mulled cider; and comfort foods of all sorts, but especially soup!

The last few days were a mix of rain (for 2 days straight), cool weather and overcast skies. By the end of this week I was exhausted; whereas, all I wanted to do when I came home on Friday was put on my jammies, cuddle under blanket and eat comfort food.

Anyone can open a can of chicken soup but I find canned soup to be too salty and the veggies are always mushy. Anyone can make chicken soup, whether it be homemade or semi homemade. The trick is a flavorful broth base and fresh ingredients. I use packaged stock because I usually have it on hand, but if you have an opportunity to make and store your own stock (especially bone broth, please do so. Some people swear by the chicken foot broth but I have not yet  made it.)


Here's what you need:

1.5 lbs boneless chicken breast
4 cups of low sodium chicken stock
2 cups of water
2 ribs of chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup carrots 
1 cup okra (I use frozen)
1/4 cup chopped spinach
3/4 cup uncooked, rinsed ditalini pasta
2 tablespoons EVOO
1/2 teaspoon poultry sealeaves andvegetable boullion cubes
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste


Add oil to a 4 qt stock pot on medium low heat. Once oil is heated add the onion, garlic and celery. Saute for 10 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add the diced chicken and carrots. Saute, stirring chicken until it is white on all sides. Add 4 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of water, 2 bouillon cubes, 2 bay leaves and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, (add the frozen okra about 20 minutes in) stirring occasionally. Add the uncooked, rinsed pasta and the 1/4 cup chopped spinach.  Turn the heat up slightly so, the liquid is a slightly more rapid boil. Cook for an additional 10-12 minutes.


Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy. Mmmmmmm. So Good!

There were 2 servings left, and I must say the flavors really came together after sitting in the refrigerator. The pasta had absorbed some of the broth so I added just a little splash of water to thin the soup out when heating. I know spinach seems odd, but I didn't have any parsley. Be warned the broth will take on a slight greenish hue from the spinach, but the flavor is great.  I was looking for a nutrient packed soup and this really delivered!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious!
    I always have tons of homemade stock in the freezer. Hubby thinks I'm a hoarder of soup. But when this time of year rolls around, I'm set to go. I doubt a week goes by without a big kettle of soup simmering on the stove.
    Happy Fall, Tonya

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!