- Take inventory of contents in fridge, freezer and pantry.
- Plan meals (weekly or monthly) based on contents.
- The object is to rotate food based on FIFO (First In First Out) to avoid discarding food that would otherwise expire.
- You can still grocery shop. Set a budget, make a list and stick to it! Avoid impulse shopping (Guilty!)
- Avoid or limit eating out.
- Have fun, be creative and enjoy!
2) Unless I am bulk food prepping, cooking only what we will eat. I know it sounds silly but I tend to over cook. We are a family of 2 but I cook for 4-6 people. Planning a few twofer meals by intentionally cooking extra a main entree (e.g., pork chops one night, I can slice the extra pork into strips, freeze and have a quick fajitas another night or a double batch of lasagna to freeze and heat)
3) Utilizing my foodsaver more and packaging leftovers right away for the freezer.
4) In my circumstances, I hope to keep to a weekly food budget $30-$40. I know that doesn't seem like much but I have
5) Throw in a few meatless meals and the budget stretches even further.
|Panko crusted baked Pork Chops||Spicy Meatballs in a Thai sweet chili sauce||Leftovers||Asian Sunflower Chop salad||“Toddler Special”||Crockpot Turkey vegetable soup||Grilled Cheese sammies|
|Sauerkraut Perogies||w/ peppers, onions and pineapple||Fend for yourself||Spiced grilled chicken tenderloins||Fish sticks||(using leftover frozen Thanksgiving turkey)||leftover turkey vegetable soup|
|Glazed Carrots||steamed white rice||That box of cereal is calling your name!||Sugar free Strawberry jello w/ diced peaches||French fries|| |
|Cottage Green Beans||Spring rolls|| |
Or eat a poptart, I don't care
|Mac n Cheese|
|Cornbread Muffins||potstickers|| |
Just wash your own dishes...
|Whipped s.f. Cheescake|
I tried this food challenge last year and failed miserably. I think because I tried to plan ALL of the meals, it was too restrictive. By planning only the dinners, I hope it gives me more freedom to be creative and change up the menu if I need skip cooking for a day-which I will do my best to stick to the plan.
Fingers crossed annnddd GO!