Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My DIY Chai Tea Cocoa Latte Recipe

Y'all...I have an obsession. I love, LOVE chai latte's, especially the little pods for my keurig. I may have mentioned this in my last post. But I am not kidding. I can knock back a whole package in one sitting...errr drinking...


The problem? They are hella expensive. And loaded in sugar. Of course that is part of the reason they taste, just so damn good. Siiighhh

So after reading the label I realized, HEY! I have all the ingredients. I CAN MAKE THIS!



I used pumpkin pie spice because it is what I had on hand. It has ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Usually in a 2:1:0.5:0.5 ratio. Some brands use Allspice and Mace as well.

1 cup non fat milk powder (Not pictured)
1 cup non dairy creamer
1/2 cup each of the cinnamon and french vanilla creamer (again--using what I have)
2 cups instant powder
3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger (Not pictured)
1 teaspoon cardamon*
2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar (Not pictured)
1 tablespoon unsweetened, non-alkali cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon grated, dried orange peel-grind in a spice grinder 1st if you have one. (Not pictured)
(I am still playing around with thickening agents, so I will keep you posted)

*Cardamon is expensive. But trust me the flavor and aroma is out of this world. It is worth the investment.
**These ingredients and ratios are my preference. You may choose to adjust to your specific taste**

I know you are probably thinking--that is a lot of ingredients and some of them seem weird. I assure you the flavors work well together. Trust me, I am a former chemist. And I actually worked in food chemistry. I realize this isn't a traditional chai. But it is warm, earthy, spicy, sweet and creamy. It is yummy zen in a cup. It is like hugging yourself. Um, no--that is a straightjacket, heh. It feels like being wrapped in a fuzzy blanket on a cold winter day but from the inside out. I love this stuff!

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.


Transfer to a blender or food processor in 1-2 cup increments and pulse blend for 30-60 seconds. Ummm, don't open it too soon or you will end up a facefull of dust. And it gets everywhere. Not that I did that or anything...


The powder will be a very light cafe ole color and will have a very fine texture.


I stored my instant mix in a mason jar. I don't know why I bothered labelling and dating it because it won't last that long.


I added 2 tablespoons to my cup.


You can use hot water (which I did) or heated milk. Stir and enjoy. I have not tried in my Keurig. I am ok with the kettle for now. Once I perfect my recipe I will need to trial run it with my refillable pod on the Keurig. I also added 1 packet of sugar substitute to my mug because I wanted my drink a little sweeter without adding sugar. This isn't sugar free but is lower sugar, which is good for my diabetes and much lower in sugar than the commercial mix/ pods.


I feel like I have the flavor profile close and creaminess down. The next batch I am going to add Mace, Allspice and increase the Ginger because I like my chai on the spicier side. Plus I want to play with the thickness of the beverage. Commercial mixes us all sorts stabilizers, emulsifiers thixotropic agents. So when you DIY or copy cat it takes few batches to get it just right. Don't get me wrong this is good. Damn good. But (as a former Chemist) I know I can make it better.  And I will, heh



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!