Wednesday, August 17, 2016

New Stuff

I could have sworn I had written a post about this. Apparently I forgot to tell y'all, but I have new appliances. Well, a  new stove and dishwasher. The refrigerator will be soon--not soon enough though! My sister moved into a condo with white appliances and she had a brand new black refrigerator that didn't sell with her house. The builder wouldn't switch the appliances to black, so we bought them from her (mid July).  This is the first time in all the years the hubbs and I have been together, that I have kitchen appliances never used by anyone else. They aren't fancy but I really like how the  white appliances provide an uninterrupted visual line with the  white cabinets in my kitchen.



The new stove is a glass top. Aesthetically it is beautiful, all shiny and clean lines. Although the OCD me freaks out at all the smudges, smears and spots. A big reason as to why I don't have stainless steel appliances. Such a big difference from the old (and I do mean old, >20 yrs) coil top electric stove.  I love the oven, because it has convection capability. It has been a slight learning curve using the glass top. I really wanted a gas cooktop but, oh well, that is a someday dream.


One thing I found out about using a glass top is all cookware needs to be smooth bottomed.  My 21 quart waterbath canner has a concave bottom. It is one of those old speckled enamelware pots. We found it tucked in the very back of the kitchen cabinet when we bought our house in 2000. Who knows how long it had been in use prior to that. The previous owners lived here for 55 yrs. So it  was time to retire the old water bath canner.

Our date day this past Saturday was to Rural King (the romance is real). Long story short, I was going to pass on the canner I found because of the price but the hubbs strong armed me into buying it. It was kinda pricey ($79.99) but then I found it normally retails for $100. So now I have a very sturdy, flat bottomed, stainless steel water bath canner. Bonus is the canning rack from the old canner fits the new one. And wow wee does this hold the heat!  My favorite thing with the new canner is the clear lid so I can see what is going on with my jars.

So shiny!
 I already  broke it in canning salsa. I had a really good harvest of tomatoes this weekend. So I put the new waterbath canner to good use. I canned 9 pints of salsa and ended up with 2 & 3/4 quarts of a beautiful red sauce.

8 lbs of nekkid tomatoes, with another 11 lbs to go for sauce
Salsa in progress of cooking down and of course-a taste test

This sauce was AMAZING! I used fresh herbs from my garden-basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary. I seasoned with some salt, pepper, minced garlic and onion. OOOHWEEE, so good!


So far the new water bath canner (and stove) seem to be going well. I have, possibly an irrational fear, I am going to ruin or break my stove. By scratching it or dropping something.

Or break it because of too much weight--which is why I have not yet used the pressure canner on the glass cooktop.

Because we have all seen the pressure canner/ glass cooktop fiasco on Snopes, right?


Yeah, so I am kind of petrified... I mean imagine all the weight of the pressure canner, filled with quart jars...

Does anyone out there use their glass cooktop to pressure can?  I really need advice.

©My Cozy Little Farmhouse 2009-current. Unauthorised use and/ or duplication without written permission from blog author/ owner is prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used provided acknowledgement is given to My Cozy Little Farmhouse, with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.




6 comments:

  1. Yay for you! The glass top is a learning curve. We have coils at the farm (but "new" coils, ha) and convection, but at the apartment in town, we have glass top. 2nd Man is cleaning it OCD-like all the time. It's clean though! I can't help you with the weight thing, but that picture scares me, ha. I will tell you we have an interesting solution I'll blog about later but we have one of those induction burners that we are using with our waterbath canner, it works great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't scrapped the old stove yet. It is in the garage, where I have electrical. My garage has various electrical wired all the way to 440 so I COULD plug it in long enough to use the pressure canner. My cousin uses a portable propane burner, so that's 2 options. Right now I only use it a few times during the summer season so not a big deal but I would like to use it more during the year. I need to think long and hard about this. I can't wait to see what you blog!

      Delete
  2. Sorry I can't help you on the canning question. I had a glass top stove years ago. It's true that you do need to watch what you're doing on it...even when you're not cooking. I set a sack of groceries on my stove top once while unloading the car--not realizing hubby had just cooked something. Mmmmmm.....disaster!
    I'm a white appliance gal myself. Love the "clean" look of them. Have a great weekend, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh man that sucks! I have already screeched at the hubbs a few times about setting things on the stove. I think I am going to have a folding metal cover mad3 to "protect" the cooktop for my own sanity. You have a good weekend also!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I wanted to also add, a few days after we moved in to the apartment, one of the cats jumped up on the cooktop. He never ever jumped on the stove at the house so I think he thought it was counter. And ours, being one of those that's not a standalone unit, has the touch controls...HE TURNED IT ON BY WALKING ON IT! Thank God we were here or that could have been a disaster. We learned it has a child safety lockout (holding a lock button for 10 seconds) so we are always sure to put that on.

    So watch for jumping furries! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.M.G!! I would not have thought about that. I am going to check mine for lock option now. Thank goodness your potential disaster was averted!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!