Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Puzzled

How many of you like jig-saw puzzles? I like them although I had not worked any for a few years. Personally, I think they are great way to slow down the frantic pace of everyday life and they provide the added benefit of working the brain. My daughter gifted me a 1000 piece puzzle this past Christmas. A 1000 pieces...Oy!

 One problem with puzzles- where can you work on them? I don't have a dedicated game room or game table. It was very annoying to have the puzzle on my dining table then have to move it when we wanted to eat dinner. I improvised at first, using 2 pieces of posterboard to carefully move and cover the in progress puzzle. That too, soon gave way to annoyance.

Another problem-my dining table is good for a quick meal, but it isn't comfortable enough to sit at for a few hours, hunched over while working on a puzzle. Although my dining table does have a nifty hidden storage tray which was great for storing the puzzle box, even though it is supposed to be used to store placemats.

I researched puzzle trays and tables and holy moly are they are expensive. ($70-$200)  I am wayyyy to cheap to drop money on those. I suppose if I had nice wooden puzzles and worked the puzzles daily maybe, just maybe, I would consider on of those fancy puzzle trays/ tables.

I rooted around the garage to see what I could DIY. I found some luan board, cardboard and an old, very oversized picture frame.

This is my first attempt to create a puzzle tray. Though not bad for 10 minutes worth of work and free materials! As you can see it is slightly larger width than my dining table.

It is nearly the same size as the chaise on my couch

But it tucks away under the couch quite nice. Which is good because I may be working on this puzzle for a very, VERY long time.

 I have several other frames, more luan board and plywood. I would like to make something smaller, with storage, and more portable. I may need to buy some dowel rods and I definitely need some felt fabric so the puzzle doesn't slide. Anyone have any nifty ideals for a puzzle tray or table?

©My Cozy Little Farmhouse 2009-current. Unauthorized use and/ or duplication without written permission from blog author/ owner is prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used provided acknowledgement is given to My Cozy Little Farmhouse, with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I gave up doing puzzles because we have ONE table and that's for the laptops and of course-meals.
    But to shove a tray under the couch?-brilliant. Thanks! Now what did I do with all those puzzles I had....................
    :)
    Hope all is well with you. Nice to see a post. Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment :) I am well (Thanks for asking). I can sit in my recline with the very large tray and work the puzzle. Much more comfortable than the dining table. I think as soon as I do a different puzzle tray/ table I am going to convert this foe use as my quilting felt board. A re-DIY, haha

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!