Friday, July 6, 2012

Garden Math

source
You would think as a former Chemist I would know a thing or two about math. Which for some forms of math I do. I am pretty handy in the kitchen with conversions. Cooking is Chemistry simplified.Unless it is fancy cooking. I am REALLY good with sales and coupons. Percentages and subtraction no problem. And I am really good with Geometry, especially after thrifting and trying to figure out how to pack my car with all my stuff!  However, I feel the educational system has failed to adequately teach Garden Math.

What is Garden Math?  Well it's kinda  complicated . 
It involves the basic math principles like-
Addition (because there is always room for 1 more plant), Subtraction (for those you don't want/ like or doesn't perform well), Multiplication (Mint!!  'nuff said), and Division (the countless hours dividing bulbs and plants).

But then there are the higher level math principles
Apparently the mathematic principles I need to be schooled in are exponents,  probability theory and inverse statistics. I don't think that is a real math but it should be!.

I should  know the probability of  getting a bumper crop of Zucchini is a constant factor.I should know that the probability of being over run with weeds and bugs increases exponentially as the temperature increases.  And statistically speaking any crop I expect will be a low yield  will be inversely proportional to the pain in the arse it causes me.  


6 comments:

  1. LOL!

    Oh dear. A chemist?
    I'm embarassed to say I failed Chemistry!-- Even with that poor instructor spending countless hours of tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes--a Chemist for 20 yrs. That's ok because to be honest I never really liked math, haha. I actually flunked home ec in 6th grade and now I do all sorts of home ec related things.

      Delete
  2. Garden Math! That's a good thing to think about, but I am not good at garden math either! LOL
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should also include the financial math--How much I spent versus how much I actually netted from my garden. Noooo I am kinda afraid of that math, haha

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!