Saturday, November 3, 2012

Meine Kochschule

My cousin Theresa spent the summer in Munich for a work exchange program. Whenever she travels she always brings me a souvenir or three (since I live vicariously through her and never venture much beyond my city, haha) So I requested-if possible--an authentic German cookbook. 

Translated it means My School
According to her Munich coworkers if you were going to get a German cookbook this is the guy you want to follow. Based on everything I have read, he is the Deutsche equivalent to Emeril Lagasse.

I am of German heritage (diluted of course with several other nationalities). In high school I took four years of German. Briefly when still in college (the first time) for my Chemistry degree I worked a temp lab job and I translated German research abstracts. That was more than 25 years a very long time ago. Besides there is a huge difference between technical and conversational German.

There are beautiful photographs of the recipes (including some of the steps of  how to make it)

Butternockerln and Grießenocklern

loosely translated: Butter and Wheat/ Semolina Dumplings

Gefüllte Rinderroulade

Translated: Stuffed beef roll

Glühweinbirnen and Dunkle Schokomousse

Translated-Pear with mulled wine and dark chocolate mousse

It appears to be a basic cookbook with a few traditional recipes. The fun part will be if I can correctly translate AND convert the measurements from metric to US customary measurements. Piece of cake, right? Or should I say "Es ist ein Stück Kuchen" Gee-- I hope my syntax is linguistically correct!

But if I really get stuck I can always ask my wonderful friend Trish who is an active member of the Germania society or I can cheat and ask my cousin Theresa who has the English version, haha



4 comments:

  1. I could probably translate ok, but converting metric to our measurements--NOPE.
    Good luck. Looks like a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to tell Trish to keep me abreast of the Germania Society events...I always seem to miss them! You know you are more than welcome to borrow my English version - I am going to run some of the recipes by my friends mom, Helga (who was born and raised in Munich...and how can you possibly go wrong with a woman named Helga?!?)and see if she agrees :) Guten Appetit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, wonderful. I have many German ancestors....but only know two words....I might do better though at helping to convert the measurements to American measurements. I did take physics I and II a long time ago. The famous Chicken Fried or pan fried steak so famous in Texas was invented by the German immigrants. Since beef was expensive they could take a cheaper cut of meat and turn into this mouth watering unhealthy chunk of tenderizing loving steak served with mashed potato or baked and gravy-always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya - my advice - never, ever, EVER try to convert measurements.

    I've tried for decades with very unreliable results.

    Just get a scale that measures KG. Your measuring cups are likely to already have ml measurements in addition to cups.

    Just keep your dry measuring cups and spoons in the drawer - they're useless with European recipes. For what it's worth, I PREFER the European style of measuring ingredients; it's very exact. Ask two people to measure out a cup of flour, and you will find that if you weigh them, each cup will weigh differently - thus, one person's recipe always turns out perfect, another - not so much.

    I also like Setting my scale to zero, adding my first ingredient, then resetting to zero, adding my second ingredient and so on. Makes it fast and easy. If you need help with a good scale or understanding anything in the book - Ruf mich an! (Call me!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!