Sunday, November 2, 2014

Winner, winner, Chicken dinner

Well, not really a chicken dinner, unless take-out counts? But in other news,  I purchased my hardware for the cabinets...ooohhhh...so shiny! hehe

Liberty Cup Pull (PN1053H-BSN-C and Top Ring Round Pull (P40052J-SN-C)
I chose the Liberty Satin Nickel knobs and cup pulls for the cabinet doors and drawers, respectively. I like the simple design but at the same time didn't want boring. The banded edges on both the knob and the cup pull add a little extra interest without being busy or design specific.

Even better than purchasing the hardware is the counter tops have ordered. Woot! With samples of my flooring, hardware, paint chip and cabinet in hand (well a tote bag) I went to a place called Pease Warehouse (located in Hamilton, Ohio). My brother-in-law requested I buy my counter tops there. Considering all the work he has put into my kitchen, it is the least I could do.

Why take the sink? Because the fabricator will cut the opening and mount the sink. All my brother-in-law has to do is install the counter top. It will save a step and no worrisome issues if the cutout for the sink is incorrect. Pease had a decent selection of laminate, solid surface and granite--not as many choices as Home Depot, Lowes or Menards--but it does make selection easier. I found out from my choices, that I have expensive taste. heh What can I say, I know what I like. But just because I like it doesn't mean I am gonna buy it.

In my case, I found that solid surface was more than the granite! Which was waaaayyyy out of my price point. It would have been $2100 for counter tops for the granite, $2250 for the solid surface. umm, no. So it came down to 2 choices of laminate.

Formica Canvas 07022

Formica 6227 Amber Kashmire
Any guesses as to which one I chose?

Natural Canvas. It is a perfect match to my flooring.  I know it seems matchy-matchy, but it was the safe choice. It is clean, mid-tone and kinda reminds me of a polished concrete in some regard.  Also the pattern isn't visually distracting for me. I felt like the Natural Canvas was neutral enough that I can change my paint colors and accessories without conflict of color or pattern. I ordered a flat deck (no back splash) and a waterfall edge. The best part? Under $500 to outfit the kitchen.  The bad part? It will be 21 days not 14 days lead time. So little chance of counter tops by Thanksgiving. Booo!

Countertop swatch  and flooring sample. A perfect match.

Due to the imperfections in my walls, flat deck is the best choice. Using a a framing square, it was determined there is a 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference in the corner where the lazy susan cabinet is installed. By not having the preformed back plash on the counter top, scribing and a light sanding can be done if needed to ensure a snug fit. We have decided to add a tiled back splash on both sides of the kitchen where the counter tops are installed. This will be an additional cost , but it will provide a much more finished look, as well as, hiding the additional imperfections.

So the to do list is slowly shrinking. I know it seems (and feels) like FOREVER we have been  working on this kitchen. Unfortunately, life's circumstances paid no heed to my timeline or budget, haha. What ongoing project have you been struggling with?

Here's my list from my earlier kitchen remodel post with some additionsmodifications
  • Finish tearing out the plaster and lathe on the North wall--DONE!!
  • Tear out ceiling--DONE!!
  • Cut out the wall boards in the sink area to remove mold. It appears to be contained in a few spots. Decided to do a complete tear out--DONE!!
  • Patch/ repair the remaining 2 walls. Possibly skim coat. Decided to do a complete tear out
  • Build temporary supports for new headers over door and window.--DONE!!
  • Cut out a  2 foot by 8 foot floor section (sink area)--DONE!!
  • Sister the joist beams and shim where the floor slopes--DONE!!
  • Determine if sill plate needs repaired  Damage is minimal-yay!--DONE!!
  • Install a floor jack on North-East corner--where the the sill plate is water damaged
  • Move the stove outlet from floor to the wall and update to a new receptacle-DONE!!
  • Build bump out wall (west wall/ kitchen sink side) to accommodate for out of plumb wall.DONE!!
  • Lay a new subfloor--DONE!!
  • Replace, update and attach the outlet to a stud on east wall--DONE!!
  • Add 1-2 new receptacle(s) to the east wall (window wall)--DONE!!
  • Add 1 new receptacle to west wall-DONE!!
  • Purchase recessed light housing and trim kits
    DONE!!
  • Order focal/ center light--DONE!!
  • Move center junction box, DONE!!
  • Install recessed lights perimeter of the kitchen (3 on each wall) and install dimmer switchDONE!!
  • Install/ wire in electric for stove exhaust hood--DONE!!
  • Replace the window--DONE!!
  • Insulate and seal. Minimize any possible cracks, leaks or vermin/bug/ draft entry points-IN PROGRESS
  • Electrician inspection--DONE!!
  • Drywall, mud, tape, prime and paint --DONE!!
  • REPAIR THE EXTERIOR WALL FROM INSTALLING A SMALLER WINDOW--IN PROGRESS On hold due to budget and weather. This is now moved to Spring.
  • Install the linoleum -- DONE!!
  • Install plugs and light switches--DONE!!
  • Final electric connection to the breaker--DONE!!
  • Purchase additional corner cabinet DONE!!
  • Install cabinets-- DONE!!
  • Figure a solution for the 6 inch gap in run of cabinets (stove side)--DONE!
  • Order remaining counter top (stove side of the kitchen) 
  • Order NEW counter tops due to laminate being discontinued-21 days lead time DONE!
  • Install counter tops
  • Install sink (part of the counter top fabrication)
  • Plumbing!
  • Install garbage disposal
  • On demand hot water? Maybe??? NOPE
  • Order and install stove exhaust hood--DONE!!
  • Paint and install the new entry door
  • Purchase door hardware--DONE!!
  • Install door hardware, including kick plate
  • Add a peephole to the door since it is windowless
  • Trim work (doors, the window, baseboards, crown molding and cabinet toe molding)
  • Purchase  additional tile for back splash--expanded project (aka scope creep), now need to tile sink aside and food prep/ cook side
  • Install tile back splash 
  • Install stove and refrigerator
  • Purchase end panel for dishwasher installation--DONE!!
  • Purchase and install a dishwasher--IN PROGRESS
  • Purchase and install cabinet hardware--IN PROGRESS
  • Purchase ceiling medallion--DONE!
  • Install the ceiling medallion and chandelier
  • Decide on window treatment--DONE!!
  • Order and SEW fabric for window valance/ curtains/ shade--IN PROGRESS
  • Paint  mobile island/ cart
  • DIY some wall art
  • Purchase/ DIY 1 or 2 kitchen stools
  • Accessorize
  • Cook, bake and ENJOY the finished kitchen!



2 comments:

  1. I think you'll be MUCH happier with the laminate counters. Granite is so damn fussy. I wouldn't put it in my house if I HAD to. Outrageous price tag, fussy maintenance, and no good for people that actually COOK in their kitchen.
    Another delay---but look at the bright side--you'll be the Master of Patience by the time this project is done.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how the cost both the granite and the sold surface! I had actually considered butcher block countertops but honestly, I am a tad germaphobic. I was worried I could't keep it clean enough or wouldn't seal it as often as I should. It was a hard decision to chooses man made versus natural materials. Maybe in my future dream house I can be more eco friendly! And as far as a master of patience--probably not. Although I have learned to curb my temperament, so that counts! LOL

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!