Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I am a Home Ec reject...

  Unfortunately I don't recall her name, however, I can clearly recall  how my 6th grade home ec teacher looked. She had this impossible helmet hair lacquered with so much hair spray, I was positive not hair would be out of place during a category 4 hurricane. She always wore a crisp button oxford and there was a swish to her skirt when she walked. She wore her glasses on a chain around her neck. In my arrogance of youth I thought her terribly old fashioned.

She would constantly chastise me to pay attention. To try harder. How would I learn these skills to serve my home? In my impudence I would scoff and say, "Oh, I won't need to know these things! I am going to be a modern woman! I am going to have a career!"  Had I not been so self absorbed I would have seen the look of hurt and disappointment as I dismissed her.

We girls would giggle, chat and gossip during the home budget session. I would yawn and barely contain my disdain during the sewing lessons. I simply could NOT be bothered with such antiquated concepts. The only area I seemed to excel was cooking and baking. (Foreshadow of a future fatty, haha!)

Mrs. Home Ec  told me on many occasions I was such a smart girl. And creative. I just needed to apply myself. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah..... So it should have been no big surprise...I FAILED  Home Ec! I had never failed anything before!!!!  When I went to Mrs. Home Ec, she just smiled sweetly and said " Miss Tonya--you just didn't put forth any effort". I would have had to repeat the class in 7th grade  but my family moved.

In my new school instead of taking Home Ec, I decided to be one of the rebel girls and take WOOD SHOP!!  The truth be told I was boy crazy and wood shop was where all the cute boys were!! Besides I never really had to do anything because the boys did the work for me. I was blonde. I was cute. And I was giggly. Enough said!

Years pass, life goes on. I have a family, a house, and an interest in taking care of my home. To fix things. To create. To craft. To sew. I know right?! I am in my mid 40's and there is a nostalgia,a comfort in doing the very tasks my Aunts, Grandma's, and Great Grandma's did on a daily basis.  The old adage is- "with age comes wisdom." Truer words were never spoken.

I am planning on taking sewing lessons starting in January. I want to learn how to quilt. And most of all I want Mrs. Home Ec to know, while it may be 30+ years  late, I am sorry I dismissed her. I am sorry rejected her gift of knowledge. And I am finally paying attention to those lessons.



1 comment:

  1. Awww, that's a nice post! I bet Mrs. Home Ec, wherever she is, would be proud.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!