Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Faux Hammered metal table Tutorial

I wrote about this project in my Look for Less#1 post.

I went from this

to this 

Talk about Cha-cha-Changes!


Here's what you need:

Table
paint
sandpaper
woodputty
super glue
hammer
drill/ screw driver
needle nose pliers
nail head trim/ trim strip
PATIENCE!!

This is about a $5-$7 plant stand that I bought a dollar type store 12 years ago. Maybe longer. It had definitely see better days. I am not going to give step by steps pics on everything because some of it is just common sense type stuff.

1. Flip the table over and use your drill or screwdriver to remove the screws. Mine were pocket screws through the feet. Place the screws in a little container or ziploc baggie until project is complete so you don't lose them. And hopefully--unlike me-you  DON'T misplace the bag. sheesh!

2. Once the screws were removed, the feet were removed from the base plate and base plate removed.

3. The legs were simply unscrewed from the top plate.

4. All the pieces were sanded with 100 grit sandpaper and tacked off. Any major gouges, cracks etc were filled with wood putty allowed to dry, and re-sanded until smooth. Tack off the dust from final sanding.

5. Next comes the paint.


6.I began with silver.
Um No--big fat fail 
7. Well thats's not gonna work. Let's try copper.
Well crap-o-la. I don't like this either.
8. (Picture me squinting and thinking reeaallyy hard) hmmmmmm, what if I mix the paints?
Hey! I kinda like this! (Light bulb moment)
9. For the table base and table top I spayed the entire surface with a nice chocolate/ cappuccino brown first. Because I knew it would need the appearance of dimension.Then I very lightly began spraying the metallic paints, layering them until I had a look that I liked. And I (gasp!) did not wait for them to dry between coats.

Both pieces have the same color but it is not accurately reflected in these pics sorry!



10. Once I achieved the overall look, I let the pieces dry overnight and re-assembled the table.

11. I added the nailhead trim using the nh strip. You hammer a nail in every 5th nailhead. Since the very last piece of the NH trim was not affixed with a nail, I used a drop of superglue to "fix it" in place. It probably wasn't going to move but I wanted to make sure it didn't.

I will tell you achieving the layered/ burnished metal look was not easy. It was hard to set the paint cans down and walk away. To get the striations I basically flicked my wrist and twisted  the table on a make shift lazy-susan as I was spraying the paint. 
It almost has a "marbling" effect
I spent maybe an hour a day over a period of 4 days working on this.  Unfortunately none of my dogs or cats can work my camera so there are no pics for me to demonstrate this technique. The nail head trim was kind of a PITA (pain-in-the-ass). I can't imagine how bad it had been if I actually had to hammer individual ones in. I managed to kill 4 of the nails AND MY THUMB TWICE! Which is why the needle nose pliers are a GREAT tool to use to hold the nails in place while you hammer! Um duh--wish I had thought of it sooner.... . I had a little difficulty keeping the trim centered on a rounded edge. On a scale of 1to 10 with 1 being easy-peasy and 10 being WTH???? I would give this a difficulty of 5 to 6.

Cost
table=free
paint=$6.47 for the cappucino. The hammered metallics were from my paint hoard
Nail head trim $19.99 for 5 yards for BUT I only used 18 inches=$2.52
All other tools/ supplies were free because we already had them on hand.


Other than that I luurrvvee it! It is very cool and unexpected. Whatcha think?




 shabby creek cottage

 Beyond The Picket Fence

Fine Craft Guild





Stuff and Nonsense

Tip Junkie handmade projects

14 comments:

  1. Wow love the after, enjoyed visiting your blog.
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bristol! Thank you for stopping by to visit and comment! I really love this table. I was going to donate it (or chop it up for kindling). I am so glad I didn't do that!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table turned out beautifully. The nail head trim gives it a very finished professional look. Thanks for joining my party, I appreciate it. The party stays open until 10 pm on Thurs. So you may add other things if you wish (4 total). Thanks and have a good week!----------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon

      Thank you. I really like the nailhead trim aslo. My mind is going 100 different ways on what can I use it on next, haha. Thanks for hosting the linky party! I will "see" you next week.

      Tonya

      Delete
  4. I love it. The artistry like you said is getting the paint layered and knowing when to walk away. I have never used the nail head trim, I thought it was easier than that...Thanks for the heads up!! It is so fun to try new things and I have a bunch of metallic paints, if it does not work...when in doubt paint it white LOL

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol-Thanks for stopping by to comment. I am sure nail head trim it not that hard but I am kinda clumsy, haha. So you should still give it a try! And I agree when in doubt--paint it white!

      Tonya

      Delete
  5. You did a wonderful job, definitely doesn't look like the same table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I put it my living room. I do really like it!

      Delete
  6. Now that's what I call a makeover! It looks stunning! Coming over from Transformation Thursday and a happy new follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanine,

      Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by from the TT linky, commenting and following!

      Thanks
      Tonya

      Delete
  7. Great tute, I have been playing around with different colors to get a good faux metal finish--really like what you did. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh amazing what a bit of spray paint can do. So creative what you are doing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! I sure do try to be creative. Some days it isn't so easy!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!