Friday, February 10, 2012

Please leave a message

I have been seeing  message centers all over blog-land like these...
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/08/message-center-for-mudroom.html
http://www.craftynest.com/2008/08/bulletin-board-with-shutters/

http://theinspiredroom.net/2012/01/13/when-good-enough-is-good-enough-for-now-command-center-organization/

I was lamenting the fact that I wanted one and really didn't have a convenient area for a message command center. Or do I? I rethought the hallway from my kitchen to the dining room. The problem is there is limited wall space on one side and the basement door is on the other side. Hmmmm.....

It began with me finding this awesome little black board (which is also magnetic). Turns out it is from Ikea. Which made me laugh because next to junkin' and thriftin', I love Ikea!
Goodwill $8./ New from Ikea $15
Next I needed a place to put the mail. I love the antiquey finish
TJ Maxx $9
I had to do a few teaks and move some things around. I removed the coat hook form the basement door and painted.
The paint is Smoked Oyster which is grey-beige (greige) . Not sure why it is reading so purple in the pic.
I decided to treat the basement door as a wall (we don't access the basement often, maybe 1 or 2 times per month. And by we--I mean my hubbs).  I added some inspirational art. These are secured with small hooks and double stick tape gels. There not moving even if the door is open. They are very light weight, feels almost like balsa wood.
I purchased these plaques from Meijers

I relocated the coat hook on the other end of the hall closest to the living room.
Hmmm, only  my stuff gets hung up.
Across from the coat hooks is a small table for my phone, phone books and a small  portable file. I still need to put some art  or photos on this wall. The table may or may-not stay. If  it stays, it will be painted.


I have an Ikea Expedit bookcase and the rattan baskets on clearance from Meijers. Hopefully this corals all  the clutter.

 This is what I have so far! Not 100% ideal because the hall is divided by the main entry door.  So coats and and phone to the left toward the living room. Message board to the right towards the kitchen.



I would like to add a bulletin board (under my inspirational art). And add a light because it is a little cave like. It's not perfect but it is beginning of my message command center.  While mine isn't as cool as some of those featured. It is practical. My favorite thing has to be the signs. Yes-- I TOTALLY could have made them cheaper but I wanted a quick fix this time. What do think?


Shared on Remodelaholic on Home and Family Friday 2/010/12
http://www.remodelaholic.com/2012/02/love-your-home-printable-and-ra-109/

8 comments:

  1. Very cute ideas. I love decorating. www.faithfulcafe.com and www.christiangirlygirls.com/. I added you to my list of linky followers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog and follow me! I can't wait until I have time to sit down and read through your blogs. (I can barley manage 1, I don't know how people can manage 2 or more!)

      Delete
  2. very cute idea
    for creating a message center
    that is functional
    and attractive

    now following
    via Linky Followers
    and hope you'll return the favor!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison

      Thank you for stopping by my blog to comment and follow me! I am hoping to jazz it up a bit more over time but the most important thing is that it functions! Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I've got this linked to my command centers post too today, well done! I'm also Linky Following you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather

      Thank you for stopping by, commenting, and following!

      Thanks
      Tonya

      Delete
  4. I'm a new linky follower. Found you thru Inspire Me Heather's command centers post.

    Shasta
    intheoldroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shasta,

      Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. I visited your blog, left a comment and am now following! Have a nice day!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment! I love feedback on what you like-(what you do not) and any stories or anecdotes you would like to share! Please know that while I may not be able to reply right away, that I do read every single comment and will respond as soon as I can!

Now chime in!