|My watermelons and cucumbers are under attack from these nasty little bugs. They must perish!|
- Organic Neem oil-spray until run off. Requires a lot of repeated applications (14 days). Spray very early morning or late evening to avoid sun scald.
- Tilling brings the eggs to the surface where they die from exposure.
- Companion planting of radishes
- Companion planting of beans
- Flattened squares of aluminum foil under the base of the plants
- Mulching with straw
- Use a spray of hot peppers, water and garlic.
- Marigolds is always a great companion because of the natural pesticide. Use the French variety as the Mexican variety will act as an herbicide with beans
- Apply Bt ( Bacillus thuringiensis)
- Wood ash in water with soap sprayed on the plants and soil
- Apply DE (diatomaceous earth) in the evening at the base of the plant
- Bring on the Mantids --they have a voracious appetite and will devour the beetles
- Apply beneficial nematodes ( Hexamermis spp.)
- Bait traps